Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Model Railroading > Andy Sperandeo Passed Away

Date: 10/03/15 09:30
Andy Sperandeo Passed Away
Author: santafe49

This just posted on the MR Facebook and Forum at 11:00 today.

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/250743.aspx

I know he had been having health issues. Condolences to his family.

Date: 10/03/15 09:33
Re: Andy Sperandeo Passed Away
Author: wabash2800

Wow, sorry to hear that. I knew that he had (a bypass?) a few years ago.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 10/03/15 09:36
Author: railstiesballast

Like a lot of people I admire, Andy enjoyed what he did and enjoyed sharing his ideas and methods with everyone who took an interest.  A loss for everyone, rest in peace.

Date: 10/03/15 09:46
Author: wabash2800

I agree, I could send him an email and he would reply, though we'd never met. He would also share knowledge and answer questions in group discusions and forums. Andy did not live in an ivory tower. And he was very conscious of modeling after the prototype, particularly operations. Andy had operated on many layouts including some that had made fame in earlier times like the Gorre & Daphetid, etc. I enjoyed him sharing his intimate knowledge of those famous modelers like John Allen and Whit Towers, among many others.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/15 09:55 by wabash2800.

Date: 10/03/15 10:03
Author: Frisco1522

A huge loss to MR and the hobby.   I always enjoyed his columns and will miss him.

Date: 10/03/15 10:09
Author: SPDRGWfan

He was a major part of MR Magazine and a ATSF guy IIRC.  Condolences to Andy's family.

Jim

Date: 10/03/15 10:14
Author: CPR_4000

What a shame. I only met Andy once, but he was very approachable and knowledgable, AND a good modeler who knew his prototype stuff, too. MR needs more guys like him and Jim Kelly.

Date: 10/03/15 12:32
Author: calsubd

Sorry to hear this ,  he was a great inspiration and I always enjoyed his articles, Condolences to his Family, RIP Andy !

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 10/03/15 09:33
Andy Sperandeo Has Passed
Author: ChilliSub

It is with extreme sorrow to report that Andy passed a away this AM after a long bout with Cancer and some other medical complications. I learned a few months ago that he was unable to travel and feared his time was short.

He was an inspiration to all he met. He was one sharp guy. I always enjoyed his operating articles and he helped me early on in getting some articles published. I'm forever in his debt. I was so lucky to have operated with him on dozens of occasions. If there was a yard, Andy was all over it. And, to hear him talk about operating on the D&G before the fire was an experience I'll never forget.

He was a great railroader and even better friend. Operating sessions just won't be the same.

Bruce

Date: 10/03/15 16:21
Re: Andy Sperandeo Has Passed
Author: johnsweetser

ChilliSub wrote:

> And, to hear him talk about operating on the D&G before the fire was an experience I'll never forget.

Shouldn't that be "the G&D?" (e.g., John Allen's Gorre & Daphetid model railroad).

Date: 10/04/15 11:41
Author: SandingValve

A huge loss to the hobby. My first MR subscription began in 1977 and remember well when Andy became a major force in our hobby. He remained such until his passing.

High Greens, Mr Sperandeo, You own the road....

SV

Date: 10/04/15 16:05
Author: NebraskaZephyr

In more recent years Andy and I tended to make the rounds of the same timetable-and-train-order layouts. While he never met a yard he didn't like, he also very much enjoyed working with train orders, be it "pitching" (dispatcher) or "catching" (operator). He copied orders for me and vice versa many times.

Always left the railroad in good shape for his "relief", too, something I cannot honestly say about myself.

"APS" has finished his transfer and has gotten up from the desk for the last time. Godspeed, Andy!

NZ  

Date: 10/06/15 14:45
Author: Sasquatch

I too feel like I’ve lost someone “I know”, even though I only met Andy once.  It was through his writings, though, that I learned so much about our hobby.  I did get to meet him once, which was neat; and that was on a tour of Kalmbach.  David Popp kindly took me up to Andy’s office to have a look at his John Allen steam loco that survived the fire.  It was fun hearing Andy’s comments about it and very cool to be seeing a little part of model railroading history like that.  So nice that Andy took the time out of his busy day to accommodate a visitor.  And I must say the same thing for David Popp; they really treat you like family there and drop what they’re doing to show you around. 

Andy will be missed, but he sure had a great run so his writings will keep him alive in our memories for a long time to come.

RIP Andy…and thank you for all you’ve done for our hobby!

-Tom

Date: 10/07/15 17:22
Author: jimbertone

Sorry to hear of his passing.  God speed and condolences to his family. Have always enjoyed his writing and will miss it.
Such a loss for MR. 

Jim Bertone
Quincy, MA

Date: 10/07/15 21:33
Author: atsf121

Another name I grew up with is gone, my condolences to his family. I liked his writing style, his Santa Fe prototype interest, and the details he provided about how to operate a model railroad.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0461 seconds