Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Model Railroading > Hey Athearn, how about a SP Pacific?

Date: 10/05/15 12:20
Hey Athearn, how about a SP Pacific?
Author: wingomann

I have been running my new Athearn SP MT4.  It's a great looking an great running model.  So this got me to pull out my copy of Robert Chirch's book "Southern Pacific's 4300 4-8-2's" .  In it he points out that the Mt's were a direct decendant of the P8 and P10 class pacifics.  So this got me thinking, Athearn has most of the parts to make a model of those classes of Pacifics.  They just need a shortened frame and new boiler.  I think everything else is the same (or close).  I would be willing to bet that models of the three surviving SP Pacifics (2467, 2472 and 2479) would be popular.

I would have thought that the market for smaller Harriman standard steam would also be out there.  But it would require designing all new parts.  The pacifics would be a quick turn.  But this comes from the guy who's also at the other end of the spectrum and can't wait for Athearn's new Portland and Western GP39-2's.

Date: 10/05/15 12:34
Re: Hey Athearn, how about a SP Pacific?
Author: PeaBock619

I would be interested in 2472. I dunno if it's off topic BUT someone should make the auxillary tender of 4449. Or I might have to kit bash a cab forward's tender to make one ;)

Date: 10/05/15 12:44
Author: KA7008

Great thougths...Maybe they'll cash in on the common parts and do just that.  Just like the EMD diesel loco series they've been producing.  

Date: 10/05/15 14:52
Author: ChrisCampi

I'll take one. Perhaps you could design the frame and boiler for them in your spare time at work instead of reading TO. To you know, get the ball rolling! 

Sorry Dude, couldn't resist!

Chris

Date: 10/05/15 15:38
Author: superchief73

Have BLI do it less issues

Javier Cervantes
Castle Rock , CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/15 15:38 by superchief73.

Date: 10/05/15 18:24
Author: ChrisCampi

superchief73 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have BLI do it less issues

Really? How so?

Chris

Date: 10/05/15 18:59
Author: M-420

wingomann Wrote:

> I would have thought that the market for smaller
> Harriman standard steam would also be out there. 
> But it would require designing all new parts. 

I've hoped that someone would decide to do the Harrimans....I'd pull out my wallet for an SP C-9 and a T-28....

Lots of other roads could be offered with the basic Harriman design.

Date: 10/05/15 19:07
Author: RuleG

Would be nice to see Athearn or another firm else produce a non-brass SP P-8 Pacific for the following reasons:

1) It seems that most of the steam locomotive models on the HO market represent big locomotives such as 4-8-4s or larger engines.*  A Pacific type would be usable for more modelers

2) SP's P-8s were among the most attractive Pacifics ever built (yeah, that's highly subjective, but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!).**

3) There are probably more modelers and railfans alive who have seen 2472 than most other steam locomotives represented in HO scale.

* I'm aware of several smaller models such as 4-4-0s and 2-6-0s, but these are often generic prototypes or represent bland prototypes such as USRA locomotives.

**I'm also a fan of the Soo Line Pacifics such as 2719.

Date: 10/05/15 20:52
Author: ssloansjca

I would love to see them do this!

~Steve Sloan
San Jose, CA

===========

My work, presented here, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.

Copyright Info:
http://www.ssloan.net/trains/copyright

Date: 10/06/15 14:19
Author: EspeeGoldenState

wingomann Wrote:
> I would be willing to bet that
> models of the three surviving SP Pacifics (2467,
> 2472 and 2479) would be popular.

I know I would probably be interested in the trio for some reason.

Chris

Date: 10/06/15 18:04
Author: UP951West

I'd buy one !

Date: 10/07/15 11:03
Author: PeaBock619

superchief73 Wrote:
> Have BLI do it less issues
Well tell BLI to do another run of the GS-4s. I WANT one so bad

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0521 seconds