Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Model Railroading > Jim Hediger Retiring

Date: 10/06/15 11:05
Jim Hediger Retiring
Author: Sasquatch

I just received in the mail the latest Model Railroader and see that Jim Hediger is retiring after 43 years there.  I had the pleasure of meeting Jim some years ago when I toured Kalmbach with David Popp, and he came across as a quiet gentleman with a humorous twinkle in his eye.  I've always felt that Jim was a source of interesting prototype information and railroad modeling articles, and is one of the greats of model railroading.
  I'll sure miss his monthly columns.

Happy Retirement Jim!

-Tom

Date: 10/06/15 11:20
Re: Jim Hediger Retiring
Author: wabash2800

I thought that was announced some time ago... though his column continues.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/15 11:20 by wabash2800.

Date: 10/06/15 12:27
Author: SPDRGWfan

Jim is one of the classic MR editors I remember from reading MR in the 80's especially.  He, along with Gordon Odgard, Jim Kelly, Andy Sperandeo were some of the big names in the magazine I remember well.  With Jim retiring, thats one of the last of the "old guard"!

Hopefully Jim will remain an emeritas contributer now and then?

Happy Retirement Jim

Jim Fitch

Date: 10/06/15 12:34
Author: pilotblue

I don't know if Jim will see this or not but...

I want to thank him here for a friendly, informative and lengthy tour he gave my wife and I of the Kalmbach facility some years ago. We showed up at the main lobby (we had called first), the woman at the desk made a phone call. Down came Jim to give the tour. I was expecting an intern. I asked Jim if we should come back when there was a bigger crowd and got Oh No! This is perfect!

We had a fine couple of hours looking around. I think he asked me more questions about my modeling than I did him and it was genuine interest. We left with a very poitive impression of Kalmbach and Jim!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/15 15:48 by pilotblue.

Date: 10/06/15 15:35
Author: NebraskaZephyr

Jim is a fine gentleman and possessed of a dry wit. Had the pleasure of operating on his Ohio Southern on two occasions and visiting it several other times on NMRA layout tours.

I suspect like Jim Kelly and the recently-departed Andy Sperandeo, he will maintain some kind of ongoing presence in the hobby press. In the meantime, here's hoping he has the time and ability to pursue whatever endeavors he wants.

NZ

Date: 10/11/15 04:54
Author: cf7

Now that Andy is gone and Jim has retired, they will be hard pressed to keep that magazine afloat. I know I'm not going to renew my subscription.cf7

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0297 seconds