Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Model Railroading > Vic Shattock Backyard Railway

Date: 10/07/15 17:07
Vic Shattock Backyard Railway
Author: KeyRouteKen

Besides the steam empire in 2 1/2" gauge running around the basement where I lived in Oakland, Vic occasionally operated locos outdoors in his yard.

KRK

Date: 10/08/15 07:10
Re: Vic Shattock Backyard Railway
Author: BAB

And back then there was almost no commercial parts available to machine either most was bar stock. Still wish that all of the old equipment could be found as it required one to be a machinist back then.

Date: 10/08/15 10:39
Author: warrenpweiss

BAB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And back then there was almost no commercial parts
> available to machine either most was bar stock.
> Still wish that all of the old equipment could be
> found as it required one to be a machinist back
> then.

Here's one of the engines that Ken's grandfather built.  It happens to be sitting in front of me right now and it's being well taken care of.

Warren

Date: 10/08/15 19:57
Author: agentatascadero

Vic's guest has a strong resemblance to LBJ.  AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 10/08/15 20:46

agentatascadero Wrote:
> Vic's guest has a strong resemblance to LBJ.  AA

I was thinking Paul "Crockodile Dundee" Hogan .

Warren

Date: 10/09/15 05:49
Author: BAB

Thanks for the photo Warren as that would rest in my front room on a shelf custom built just for it. I am glad that you are taking care of it and do hope you have also provided for its future care by insuring who it will be passed to at the proper time. Almost got to preserve some larger scale trains I think around the same scale a few years back that someone had for free. Was number two but figured that if I at least was able to obtain them they could find the proper home with a little research. Would like to see more of what has been preserved from say Friends back east and others. Boyd

Date: 10/09/15 08:15

BAB Wrote:
> Thanks for the photo Warren as that would rest in
> my front room on a shelf custom built just for it.
> I am glad that you are taking care of it and do
> hope you have also provided for its future care by
> insuring who it will be passed to at the proper
> time. Almost got to preserve some larger scale
> trains I think around the same scale a few years
> back that someone had for free. Was number two but
> figured that if I at least was able to obtain them
> they could find the proper home with a little
> research. Would like to see more of what has been
> preserved from say Friends back east and
> others. Boyd

Boyd, thank you for bringing up the issue of preserving these historic works.  It is an issue that has been on my mind for some time and one to which I have not yet found an answer.  I consider myself to be the temporary caretaker-custodian of Mr. Shattuck's work.  I feel a responsibility to see that the locomotive is put in the proper hands after my passing.  I have three children and none of them have shown sufficient interest that the work deserves.  Furthermore, I am not really happy with the thought of the locomotive going into a private collection that is not shared with the public.  I would really like to hear from TO members and get their thoughts and suggestions on this topic.

Warren

Date: 10/09/15 12:00
Author: Sasquatch

The California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento has a GREAT model train collection (Lionel?) upstairs.  Perhaps a donation to them and their agreement to do a display of Victor's work along with any actual artifacts and such?  Ken obviously can supply photos and stories.  Might be worth inquiring about.

-Tom

Date: 10/12/15 19:19
Author: upkpfan

Donate it to a museum someplace. upkpfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds