Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn GE AC 4400

Date: 11/24/15 05:26
Athearn GE AC 4400
Author: bridgeportsub

Several years ago, Athearn came out with a GE AC 4400. I bought one ,but it doen't seem to run very well. Is there a motor replacement or wheel replacement that I could get to improve the performance? Thanks in advance for any responses.I should mention I am talking DC not DCC.

Randy

Date: 11/24/15 09:13
Re: Athearn GE AC 4400
Author: PeaBock619

If it's a Blue Box, which I'm suspecting, then I would get an RTR motor to replace it

Date: 11/24/15 09:42
Author: arizonaBNSF

I have a RTR AC4400 and it runs sloppy at times. Every few months, I completely remove the wheel sets, disassemble them, and thoroughly clean all the parts  including the trucks before putting them back together and oiling them. This usually helps. Mine also seemed to run better after adding a decoder, so that may help. 

Date: 11/24/15 10:16
Author: PHall

If it's a Blue Box then some thrust washers on the worm gears to take the slop out works wonders.
NWSL and A-Line have these.

Date: 11/24/15 10:30
Author: bridgeportsub

Yes it is an old blue box engine. Thx for your responses.

Randy

Date: 11/24/15 11:46
Author: andrewcastle

If you want to go all the way put in a Kato motor, replace the drive shafts with the newer Athearn hex shafts, and replace the blue box wheels with Northwest Short Line or newer Athearn RTR nickel silver wheels. As somebody else said add thrust washers to the worms if necessary to remove any extra back and forth play. Clean out the old lube and re-lube with something like a LaBelle oil or thin grease.

Andrew C

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0333 seconds