Home Open Account Help 397 users online

Model Railroading > 1950s propane facility modeling

Date: 11/24/15 11:54
1950s propane facility modeling
Author: bobdavis

I'm planning to add a propane dealer to one of the towns on my 1950's era HO layout, and have a quick question.  Were the white, 50-60' or so long, propane storage tanks, like the ones made by Walthers and others, in use in the 50's?  Thanks in advance.

Bob

Date: 11/24/15 21:29
Re: 1950s propane facility modeling
Author: wabash2800

Paul Dulkos (spelling?) who modeled the B&M in the 1950s had one on his layout and an article on how he built it in Model Railroader I believe. IIRC, he used the Walthers model as a staring point but don't quote me on it. Perhaps if someone has the MR CD they can look up the article.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 11/25/15 04:46
Author: Lighter

> Paul Dulkos (spelling?) who modeled the B&M in the
> 1950s had one on his layout and an article on how
> he built it in Model Railroader I believe. IIRC,
> he used the Walthers model as a staring point

That's my memory also.  I do know one in my home town - late fifties - had similar tanks.  I /think/ smaller in diameter.  Heads are available from Plastruct for your own tube.  They also have tubes and all sorts of fittings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/15 04:49 by Lighter.

Date: 11/25/15 08:29
Author: bobdavis

Thanks for the replies, time to order a couple of tanks.

Bob

Date: 11/25/15 08:50
Author: BCutter

We lived in western Massachusetts (Housatonic) in the early to mid-1950s and had "bottled gas" for cooking.  As I remember, two large vertical cylinders -- at least 2x the diameter of todays O2 cylinders and about as tall -- were periodically changed out by the supplier.  So you may need some of these as well as the horizontal supply tanks!

Bruce

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0437 seconds