Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Model Railroading > Ring Engineering Power Pick-Up truck output

Date: 11/25/15 17:13
Ring Engineering Power Pick-Up truck output
Author: fbe

I have an early EOT device model built by an individual over in Spokane a decade or so ago. It works well but was powered by AA batteries. Now we have continuous track power with DCC I think it is time to rearrange the power circuits to ditch the batteries and tap into the track power.

I figured the Ring Engineering power pick up truck since that is what they use for their led EOT. When I get the truck home it says the output is track voltage which would be 14-16 vac. That would require adding a bridge rectifier and resistor to get output down to 3 vdc. The Ring truck has a circuit board between the axles so what does that do?

Thanks for the help.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/25/15 18:36
Re: Ring Engineering Power Pick-Up truck output
Author: ALCO630

A esistor to trip signal detection units?

Doug Wetherhold
Macungie, PA

Date: 11/25/15 21:56
Author: fbe

Measured output voltage is 14.24 vac which is equal to the track voltage from my Digitrax Zephyr. This track power conversion will also require a one amp bridge rectifier, a recommended polarized capacitor and an appropriate voltage lowering resistor. The capacitor and resistor I have on hand the bridge rectifier probably cannot be found anywhere in the fair city of Missoula.

The covered circuit board contains at least a circuit breaker.

NOTE:
The bridge rectifier can be ordered from Walthers. Ngineering has them in 2 sizes and affordable, too.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/15 23:42 by fbe.

Date: 11/26/15 05:10
Author: herronpeter

I had some questiona about their Rail Pro system and wrote to the following address:  Info@ringengineering.com

They were very helpful people and I'm sure would be able to guide you.

Peter

Date: 11/26/15 07:21
Author: BAB

And also once you add a resistor you are adding more amps used to operate the circut. Might not be much but all adds up to the total required to run the entire layout.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0431 seconds