Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Model Railroading > MTH Questions

Date: 11/28/15 08:11
MTH Questions
Author: Cliffs619

I have a few MTH HO scale MTH engines - specifically the SD70ACE.  The stanchions are coming off and some are now missing and need replacement.  I have old handrails & stanchions from Athearn that don't fit these engines.  I'm wondering if anyone knows of a company that sells handrails to fit MTH SD70ACE engines.  There was a company (Rail Detail Products) that sold replacement handrails/stanchions for engines (metal) but the last ones I bought were for C44-9W engines.  I can't find the company anymore on the web.  The MTH web site states it does not sell part for this.  

Also, my newest MTH ES44AC (C4) has an old bell sound instead of the e-bell and the wrong horn sound.  Is there a way to download different engine sounds or an e-bell to the current DCS sound system?  The engine sounds are perfect, but the bell and horn are "second-rate".  Thanks for any info you may have on these two items.  

Date: 11/28/15 10:41
Re: MTH Questions
Author: bnsftim

To change the horn and bell you must have the dcs commander controller. I just purchased one of these myself. I do not have it yet as it's being shipped from Mass. I'm anxious to try it out though. I don't know about the hanails sorry.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/28/15 15:24
Author: tomstp

Get hold of MTH and ask if they have any parts.

Date: 11/28/15 19:54
Author: ST214

Good luck! We had two members at the club I belong to that needed parts and MTH was less than helpful!

Date: 11/29/15 08:08

Thanks for all of the replies.  I already tried MTH....no luck.  Let me know how the MTH dcs command center works for you.  I may have to invest in one.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/15 08:09 by Cliffs619.

Date: 11/29/15 10:10
Author: bnsftim

I just got the commander yesterday in the mail. I have to wait for the transformer and the wire which I had to order seoerately.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/29/15 11:37
Author: neilgross

I have picked up a few Rail Detail Products handrail sets at swap meets over the past couple years.  They had Athearn blue box style stanchions and were intended to be used with Rail Power Products shells.  I think one of my packages even has the Rail Power Products name.  I assumed they went out of business around the time the RPP line was bought by Athearn, but that is just a guess on my part.  A-Line/Proto Power West picked up the remaining RPP stock, but I just checked their website and don't see any handrail sets listed.

Another source for replacement stanchions is Smokey Valley Products.  I think Precision Scale Co. makes stanchions too.

Date: 11/29/15 18:41
Author: Streamliner

Why are the stanchions "coming off?"  Is this from improper handling or were they poorly made?  Just curious.  I thought Mike's stuff was high quality, no?

Date: 11/30/15 07:50
Author: 4400horsepower

Mike's products are FAR from Quality, and if you need any help, they don't have time to help you.

Burlington, Iowa

Date: 11/30/15 12:45
Author: brfriedm

The engine sounds for the HO GEVO's from MTH sound like no engine I have ever heard. I am around GEVO's every day.  I quickly returned my MTH GEVO's with sound and installed my own sound. Bruce

Date: 11/30/15 18:34

I'm around BNSF ES44ACs all the time and the MTH sound is the most realisitc of any manufacturer of sounds on the market today.  As stated, the ebell and horn are incorrect but the engine sounds are perfect.  

Date: 11/30/15 19:45
Author: trkspd

I don't know what ES44ACs you are around, because I sit on these things for 12+ hours a day and the MTH sound file doesn't at all sound like a real GEVO.

Cliffs619 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm around BNSF ES44ACs all the time and the MTH
> sound is the most realisitc of any manufacturer of
> sounds on the market today.  As stated, the ebell
> and horn are incorrect but the engine sounds are
> perfect.  

Posted from Android

DG .
Unknown, US

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0398 seconds