Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Model Railroading > A Prototype Gondola and Load to Model

Date: 02/02/16 17:01
A Prototype Gondola and Load to Model
Author: refarkas

While I rarely took freight car slides, I took this in the summer of 1988 most likely in Massillon, Ohio. I thought this image of CR577530 might give an interesting view of a prototype gondola and load. No, I didn't take photos of the rest of the gondolas.
Bob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/16 17:02 by refarkas.

Date: 02/02/16 18:42
Re: A Prototype Gondola and Load to Model
Author: toledopatch

Those corrugated CR gondolas are among the models I wish would come out in plastic....

Date: 02/02/16 19:25
Author: CR6079

Would be a nice car for Tangent to make and compliment the very well done ACF 70t G31 class car.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/02/16 20:37
Author: rschonfelder

Probably the only guys who would do it properly would be a very select few. There would need to be a large scale acceptance from the buying public that such a car done properly would encompass some very expensive tooling because of the slides for inside and outside of the gondola.  There are too many new manufacturers who are merely putting a steel block on the inside of these types of tools.  I can hear all of the whingeing now about a USD $60 car if it were done correctly.

The thing is, if a car like this is produced it would very likely sell at that (possibly higher) price as there are customers who accept the price but remain silent.  Unfortunately, the loudest comments come from only a few who likely do not care about the detail.

Rick

Date: 02/02/16 21:23
Author: Espeenut

ExactRail did a model with corrugated sides - and yes, both inside and outside. It was a Greenville 65 ft gondola made for Southern Pacific, not a CR car but nonetheless this style of car has been made already.

Date: 02/03/16 04:50
Author: chessiegp39

ExactRail also produced a 65' corrugated car lettered for MP. This car is also good for CR as from what I am told, CR picked up a bunch of them second hand.

James

Espeenut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ExactRail did a model with corrugated sides - and
> yes, both inside and outside. It was a Greenville
> 65 ft gondola made for Southern Pacific, not a CR
> car but nonetheless this style of car has been
> made already.

Date: 02/03/16 05:48
Author: NSTopHat

Both E&C/LBF/Hubert's and Walthers have both made a 52' IL corrugated sided 100 Ton Mill Gon. Because of tooling considerations at the time they were developed, neither offering was created with the the corrugations on the interior of the car. Exact Rail has offered two variaons of corrugated sided mill gons, one is a 40' Gunderson 2420 cf car and the other is a 65' Greenville car. The Gunderson was offered in their low end line and did not have the interior corrugations. However, the 65' Greenville car is in their Platinum Line and it was designed with the interior to have the corrugation as well as other interior details.

Regards,
Russ

Date: 02/03/16 07:13
Author: toledopatch

NSTopHat Wrote:
> Exact Rail has offered two variaons of corrugated
> sided mill gons, one is a 40' Gunderson 2420 cf
> car and the other is a 65' Greenville car. The
> Gunderson was offered in their low end line and
> did not have the interior corrugations. However,
> the 65' Greenville car is in their Platinum Line
> and it was designed with the interior to have the
> corrugation as well as other interior details.

The Gunderson also was an SP exclusive that ExactRail foobified for other road names.

Is the car pictured at the top of this thread a 65-foot car? It looks shorter to me.

Date: 02/03/16 08:17
Author: NSTopHat

toledopatch Wrote:
> NSTopHat Wrote:

> The Gunderson also was an SP exclusive that
> ExactRail foobified for other road names.
>
> Is the car pictured at the top of this thread a
> 65-foot car? It looks shorter to me.
>  

Yes, 'Patch, the 2420 Gunderson from ExactRail is an SP only car. The CR car that the OP posted is a 52'-6" IL, 1995 cf car. Haven't tried to match up the original image vs the Walthers & E&C/LBF/Hubert's car to see which it better fits. Not sure if the E&C/LBF/Hubert's car is now going to be offered in the economy line from Intermountain or not.

Regards,
Russ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0431 seconds