Home Open Account Help 330 users online

Model Railroading > switcher steps on road units

Date: 02/03/16 15:03
switcher steps on road units
Author: fbe

SD45-2 units on the ATSF which were later sold to MRL had corner steps which had a large bottom platform then three vertical steps to the walkway. These can also be found on some GP38 or GP38-2 units.

Does anyone make plastic or etched metal assemblies to replace the normal EMD steps on HO models?

Thanks.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/03/16 19:34
Re: switcher steps on road units
Author: eminence_grise

Are these the same as steps on Canadian locomotives? CN/CP/BCR had a similar design to keep snow from building up on the steps, same reason behind the bell location. If so Miniatures by Eric have brass castings that can be a bit crude and Railflyer made them as well.

Date: 02/03/16 19:41

I have not compared these to any Canadian units. I'll go look at some photos.

The Rail Flyer parts must be hard to find.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/03/16 20:01
Author: eminence_grise

Here is a photo of the Canadian steps on a CN SD40-2W

Date: 02/03/16 20:09

That is the idea but these are deeper and wider at the ladder steps.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/03/16 20:33
Author: NIKS

The 5706 Class also had two side wall holes, I would think make them a little more dangerous for crews to board on the move. They are slightly more narrow than the GP39-2s with switcher step wells, the 3600 through 3668. Not to mention other roads that had them on their GP38-2s and etc.

Peter N. Limas

Date: 02/03/16 21:23
Author: Betsy

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SD45-2 units on the ATSF which were later sold to
> MRL had corner steps which had a large bottom
> platform then three vertical steps to the walkway.
> These can also be found on some GP38 or GP38-2
> units.
>
> Does anyone make plastic or etched metal
> assemblies to replace the normal EMD steps on HO
> models?

Alan. that was Santa Fe's last SD45-2 order, for, what, 10 units?  I only see three steps total.  Cannon makes a step set for the P2K GP60, and the bottom step would probably work.  I don't know, but suspect the other two steps are rectangular as well?  You might try cobbling them from the GP9 step kit.  It's definitely going to be a mix and match effort, but should look quite cool.  I don't remember seeing that modeled before.

Elizabeth

Date: 02/04/16 00:22

Hi, Liz.

The closest steps are the long hood steps from an MP15AC. Cannon makes the step tread plates that leaves either cutting the wells from a pair of MP15AC shells for each SD45-2 or scratch building the back and inside wall for each set of stairs in order to use the Cannon etchings. I will need 4 or 8 depending upon what I do with the two Athearn Genesis undecs I found on last weekend's road trip.

MRL's SD45-2 fleet, all now retired and scrapped came from Clinchfield, ATSF and ACL/CSXT heritage. There were 13 units total, I will do 5 so 1-2 ATSF units seems about right.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/04/16 00:44

Peter,

Yes, the steps were dangerous when employees were used to steps which were built with a sloping pattern away from the center. That always resulted in a job safety briefing when I had one of the ATSF units in the consist. There was a reminder each time we stopped especially in the dark and my assistant would be using those steps. I could not get the railroad to rebuild these steps with standard steps from retired SD40 and SD45 locomotives.

Safety First, Sort Of.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/04/16 01:05
Author: ESPEE5318

Pictures.....

Date: 02/04/16 04:23
Author: sixaxlecentury

LIRR used these as well..

Railflyer made them, but good luck. 

Athearn has done them on some of the Genesis 38-2's, Southern I think had them.  Might want to call parts and try and get an undec sill and chop them out.  

Date: 02/04/16 10:51

sixaxle,

Thanks for the heads up. Looking through the parts booklet included with my undec Genesis GP38-2 models it seems the part number which may be a match is G40231.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/04/16 11:50
Author: iaisfan

I was going to mention the Genesis GP38-2s as well.  I believe two of the four UP 2000-series models that Athearn offered had them.

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> sixaxle,
>
> Thanks for the heads up. Looking through the parts
> booklet included with my undec Genesis GP38-2
> models it seems the part number which may be a
> match is G40231.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 02/08/16 02:40
Author: NSDTK

Some of the southern gp38-2s have them. There ok for switching but if you forget it's quite a drop to the bottom step.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.054 seconds