Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Model Railroading > Walthers new name train?

Date: 02/04/16 09:44
Walthers new name train?
Author: ATSF3751

I wonder if we have seen the last of the Walther's name trains. Usually, a new train is announced as the last cars are delivered for the previous release.

On a separate note, the PRR P70 coaches are certainly an unusual release for them. This is espically true when you consider that BLI announced the same product around the same time.

Date: 02/04/16 13:35
Re: Walthers new name train?
Author: railwaybaron

What no North Coast Limited or Texas Special?

Date: 02/04/16 15:47
Author: grahamline

City of New Orleans complete with iTunes download?

Date: 02/04/16 19:27
Author: Alexmarissa

How about the Southern Crescent or the MoPac Colorado Eagle?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/04/16 19:27
Author: RuleG

ATSF3751 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if we have seen the last of the Walther's
> name trains.

I hope that's not true.  There are modelers who would like to see Walthers produce

1) Maine Central Bar Harbor Express
2) Erie Lackawanna Lake Cities
3) Soo Line Laker
4) Rio Grande Prospector
5) Southern Pacific Overland

and maybe even a...
Chicago & Eastern Illinois Whippoorwill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/16 19:28 by RuleG.

Date: 02/05/16 06:17
Author: binder001

Some of us were waiting for a few more UP "City of..." cars, such as the Western series sleepers, the River series lounges and maybe an RPO car.  It would also have been nice to see a CB&Q Denver Zephyr.  It would also be nice to see some of the correct cars to do some Amtrak state-sponsored trains.  With a P42DC and 3 or 4 cars of mixed types, these really are "pike sized" passenger trains that could be fun to model.

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 02/05/16 07:38
Author: randyr

I would assume since Walthers recently cancelled their "Pike Size Streamliner" series for NKP, MP, D&RGW, EL and D&H, that they wouldn't stray too far from anything UP, PRR or AT&SF. I hope this isn't the case, still hoping for the D&RGW Prospector/Royal Gorge/Yampa Valley Mail release someday.

Randy in PHX

Date: 02/05/16 07:57
Author: garr

After finding and opening the sealed envelope secured in a Funk & Wagnall encyclopedia, the Walthers named train for 2016 is.........the Georgia Railroad Supermixed.

Train will consist of one accurate model, the PS 10-6, and one stand-in Budd coach. Cars will come pre-weathered with a thick coat of Georgia red clay and foggy windows.

Jay

Posted from Android

Date: 02/05/16 08:21
Author: wabash2800

Well, since the most modeled roads are covered: UP, SP, PRR and Santa Fe, maybe no more?

I'd like to see a Wabash Canon Ball, as Walthers has most of the heavyweight cars. But I'm going to model it myself anyway.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/16 08:22 by wabash2800.

Date: 02/05/16 08:32
Author: BaylorMax

Of course with the North Coast Limited, we have the problem of matching the Loewy greens. Not even Tru Color has them right!

Date: 02/05/16 15:05
Author: WAF

One thing that is lacking is mid 60s SP smooth side cars, articulated chair cars, single chair cars, automats, lounge, diner, the whole show at inexpensive prices ( less than $500 ea)

Date: 02/05/16 17:48
Author: SPDRGWfan

WAF Wrote:
> One thing that is lacking is mid 60s SP smooth
> side cars, articulated chair cars, single chair
> cars, automats, lounge, diner, the whole show at
> inexpensive prices ( less than $500 ea)

I could go for SP cars.  And what about the Prospector!  Nice train that can be modeled with 5 cars.  Walthers already has a model close to the coach, so they would need baggage, combine, diner and sleeper and many would want the combine for the ever popular Rio Grande Zephyr, currently only obtainable in brass or brass sides on a core kit - not necessarily a walk in the park for many.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 02/06/16 08:04
Author: aehouse

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
 Walthers already has a model close to
> the coach, so they would need baggage, combine,
> diner and sleeper and many would want the combine
> for the ever popular Rio Grande Zephyr, currently
> only obtainable in brass or brass sides on a core
> kit - not necessarily a walk in the park for
> many.
>
> Cheers, Jim Fitch

Walthers also offers the sleeper (in B&O, NKP and C&O), albeit in the roomette//bedroom configuration, but with the same window arrangement as the D&RGW's roomette/bedroom/open section equipped cars.  The center kitchen diner/lounge is the tough one--that version only ran on the Rio Grande and D&H, so very little appeal to a broader spectrum of the market.  Walthers has offered the full buffet lounge, of which the Rio Grande had three cars, in C&O colors.  It ran pmostly on the Royal Gorge, however, not the Prospector.

Art House

Date: 02/06/16 09:25
Author: hogheaded

I want Walthers to do the SP's New Almaden branch mixed train as it appeared in February, 1908 (-:

EO
at 7:56 a.m. on Feb. 9th

Date: 02/07/16 07:51
Author: ATSF3751

WAF Wrote:
> One thing that is lacking is mid 60s SP smooth
> side cars, articulated chair cars, single chair
> cars, automats, lounge, diner, the whole show at
> inexpensive prices ( less than $500 ea)

What is interesting is that MTH has the Daylight cars offered in smooth sided versions that were painted for other roads.

Date: 02/07/16 08:40
Author: SPDRGWfan

aehouse Wrote:
> Walthers also offers the sleeper (in B&O, NKP and
> C&O), albeit in the roomette//bedroom
> configuration, but with the same window
> arrangement as the D&RGW's roomette/bedroom/open
> section equipped cars.  The center kitchen
> diner/lounge is the tough one--that version only
> ran on the Rio Grande and D&H, so very little
> appeal to a broader spectrum of the market.
>  Walthers has offered the full buffet lounge, of
> which the Rio Grande had three cars, in C&O
> colors.  It ran pmostly on the Royal Gorge,
> however, not the Prospector.
>
> Art House

Yes, about the buffet lounge, but don't forget that during the 1960's the Prospector was combined with the Royal Gorge west of Grande Junction so if you model the west end until the RG was discontinued.

As one other noted, Wathers cancelled the Pike Sized Streamliners but it seems they want to do projects which they can take to the bank before they are produced.  Is Walthers getting pre-orders for their other name trains, like the ATSF, NYC, UP etc named trains?  

One thing that I have noticed is that D&RGW seems to sell well in general over the past 10 years so the Prospector seems like it wouldn't be a bad bet.  Sure, I understand they want to get as much mileage out of the tooling as possible.  I didn't realize the sleeper was a visual match externally.  If they would do a 1960's single stripe version of the sleeper I would want to buy it, but it wouldn't be any good without a diner, which has a more limited use.  The Prospector is a very appealing small streamliner and we have correct diesels out to pull it (Genesis F3A's, Genesis F7's ).

Date: 02/07/16 19:29

Here's a photo in a book that is out of copyright, Railroading the Modern Way,  by S. Kipp Farrington, with a photo of, reportedly, the Prospector by Les Logue. The consists looks anything but standard. But it could be an error in description as some photos in the book are. No date. Are those F3's and "American Flyer" coaches?

The captions says:
"Rio Grande #7, the Prospector, starting the fifty-mile climb to Moffat Tunnel west of Denver on the Pueblo Divsion."

Victor A. Baird

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/16 19:49 by wabash2800.

Date: 02/08/16 07:51

Here's an explanation for the consist in the photo:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,3956442,3956442#msg-3956442

Victor A. Baird

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/16 07:52 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1082 seconds