Home Open Account Help 371 users online

Model Railroading > I finally got burned.

Date: 02/04/16 12:58
I finally got burned.
Author: hartrick24

Oh well it had to happen after 10 years. I was looking for very hard to find Floquil spray paint Reefer Yellow #130031. I found 2 cans from a store in NJ. I could 
finally finish 2 cars I started around Thanksgiving 2015. They came in the mail today, ran out to the mailbox and took them inside. I opened the box shook the can and then I noticed the problem. They were both sealed but were EMPTY...I think i'm going to stroke, I know it's my fault...

Steve

Date: 02/04/16 13:12
Re: I finally got burned.
Author: grahamline

How is it your fault if someone sends you an empty paint can?

Date: 02/04/16 13:35

grahamline Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How is it your fault if someone sends you an empty
> paint can?

Small seller, I should have known better to stay away, I just needed the paint bad. I can spray anything great, but lack $$$ for a good airbrush and lack confidence...

Steve

Date: 02/04/16 14:41
Author: calsubd

Count your blessings, it might have gone on to thick and messed up some details, JMHO

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 02/04/16 14:44
Author: SPED

Steve,

You say the can is empty, it it lacking any paint or lacking propelant? If it is lacking propelant you can refill the can or empty the can and get a $8.85 airbrush from the Harbor that has Freight and spray away.
If you want you can call me and I'll give you a small portion of my painting clinic and get you through this, send me a PM if you like.

Ed

Date: 02/04/16 15:19
Author: wcamp1472

Re: Above offer to help..from SPED

NOW,  THAT'S A SOLUTION!

Sometimes it's astounding where help comes from.
Let us know how the painting project turned out.
I feel a little happier that the solution is shared, and I hope it works out just fine for you project.

Wes C.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/16 15:21 by wcamp1472.

Date: 02/04/16 18:09
Author: wpdude

Make sure you get your money back, or else give this seller a TRASH review (was this on e-bay?) I really doubt the seller shipped the cans without already knowing they were no-good, but give them a chance to come clean. Looks like you have found some help, God bless the good folks here on TO!

Date: 02/04/16 18:40
Author: tomstp

How you would you know they were no good if you didn't try to spray with them?.  I don't  think the seller was a cheater.  The Harbor Freight air brush  and opening the cans and getting the paint out is a GOOD idea.  And, by the way, on ebay there are many air brushes for sale at discount and used ones under 30 bucks.  If you are gonna be in the hobby you need a air brush.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/16 18:41 by tomstp.

Date: 02/04/16 20:05
Author: CountryBoy

If you got it from that Auction site and used Paypal you do have some recourse, with either. you can file a claim with either or both, after giving the seller time to make it right

CB

Date: 02/05/16 00:09
Author: atsf98

Was the package by any chance sent by air? This is just a crazy idea but the change in altitude could have caused the propellant to leak out.

Date: 02/05/16 04:10

atsf98 Wrote:
> Was the package by any chance sent by air? This is
> just a crazy idea but the change in altitude could
> have caused the propellant to leak out.

Yes it was.

Date: 02/05/16 05:12
Author: SPDRGWfan

Can't you just contact the vendor, let them know the paint is faulty or dead and won't work and ask for a refund?

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 02/05/16 07:07
Author: BAB

If the propellant leaked out he wouldn't have had to shake the cans and would have also known there was no paint inside the cans as it would have been inside the box. Another note, years back while painting full scale light aircraft used spray cans once in a while and did find empty cans brand new.
> Was the package by any chance sent by air? This is
> just a crazy idea but the change in altitude could
> have caused the propellant to leak out.

Date: 02/05/16 11:15
Author: fbe

I would get back to the sell about the problem.

You might try putting a can in a pan of hot water which will raise the inside pressure and you can try to spray then. Not boiling water but hot tap water.

What if it is a defective valve and the can is still full of propellant and paint? Puncturing the can could unleash the contents all at once. If you go that route make sure the paint is completely mixed. Wear clothes you don't mind getting paint on. Wear eye protection!!!!!

Use a large item like a chisel to make the opening and hit it with a hammer to get any pressure out quickly while leaving as much paint as possible in the can.

I would set this up inside a cardboard box to localize any paint spills.

Good luck.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/06/16 11:12
Author: wpdude

Just sayin' shaking a good can has a different sound and feel than a "bad" can.

Date: 02/06/16 11:16
Author: brfriedm

This is really a huge issue and I think it warrants an investigation by the Xfiles team!

Bruce

Date: 02/07/16 07:35
Author: BAB

Put a rag over it that is quite thick use an awl rather than anything else to make a SMALL hole in it and hold it in to release the pressure slowly and do it in the top with the can upright have done it with little or no mess do not shake it up first either. Once the pressure has been released then the hole can be enlarged and the paint mixed and dumped into another container.  Like I said been there done that.
> I would get back to the sell about the problem.
>
> You might try putting a can in a pan of hot water
> which will raise the inside pressure and you can
> try to spray then. Not boiling water but hot tap
> water.
>
> What if it is a defective valve and the can is
> still full of propellant and paint? Puncturing the
> can could unleash the contents all at once. If you
> go that route make sure the paint is completely
> mixed. Wear clothes you don't mind getting paint
> on. Wear eye protection!!!!!
>
> Use a large item like a chisel to make the opening
> and hit it with a hammer to get any pressure out
> quickly while leaving as much paint as possible in
> the can.
>
> I would set this up inside a cardboard box to
> localize any paint spills.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0896 seconds