Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Model Railroading > Rock Island Alco DL109 "Christine" Conversion

Date: 02/07/16 21:05
Rock Island Alco DL109 "Christine" Conversion
Author: rrman6

Just wondering if any Rock Island HO scale modelers here have attempted a Walthers DL109 conversion of a passenger unit similating the raised hood over the engines as was done when the Alco units were re-engined with GM engines.  The unit(s) revamped were nicknamed "Christine" for a trans-gender person back in the late 50's or early 60's.

Date: 02/08/16 12:59
Re: Rock Island Alco DL109 "Christine" Conversion
Author: bnsfsd70

I've looked into it myself in the past, but I've not done it myself.  

If you're starting with the Walthers unit, pretty much all that's usable is the frame/drive, cab/nose and the long "hood" end.  Everything down the body will have to be replaced with styrene, Archer rivet decals, Cannon fans and grills from either Cannon or Evergreen.  If you've got some kitbashing/scratchbuilding experience, this shouldn't be the toughest of projects, but it'll definitely require some work.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 02/08/16 18:30
Author: wabash2800

And, it goes without saying, if you go with sound, you wont be going with Alco sound...

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 02/09/16 10:55
Author: hogheaded

bnsfsd70 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've looked into it myself in the past, but I've
> not done it myself.  
>
> If you're starting with the Walthers unit, pretty
> much all that's usable is the frame/drive,
> cab/nose and the long "hood" end.  Everything
> down the body will have to be replaced with
> styrene, Archer rivet decals, Cannon fans and
> grills from either Cannon or Evergreen.  If
> you've got some kitbashing/scratchbuilding
> experience, this shouldn't be the toughest of
> projects, but it'll definitely require some work.
>
> - Jeff Carlson

Yep. Years ago I did a very similar MKT FA conversion using layers of Squadron Green putty to form the roof contours, and it was easy; turned out well save the lack of rivet detail.

I considered doing Christine when Wathers came out with the DL-109, but was not enamored with the idea of replicating the chrome bling on the nose, so I let it drop, even though it should not have been much of a deal to do this in nickel silver, other than the time involved. I've seen other such 'morphadite conversions over the years, and they all looked pretty darn good. Of course, you can always buy a brass copy of Christine, if you're made of money.

EO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0351 seconds