Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Model Railroading > Dullcote Alternative

Date: 02/08/16 08:32
Dullcote Alternative
Author: philhoov

Can anyone recommend an equivalent alternative to Testor's Dullcote?
I have, in the past, bought something else in a larger can that was essentially the same thing.
My LHS closed and I'm thinking Hobby Lobby might have something, but don't know what to buy.
TIA
Phil

Date: 02/08/16 08:46
Re: Dullcote Alternative
Author: brfriedm

So are u asking for spray cans or airbrush?

Bruce

Date: 02/08/16 09:12
Author: shortliner

Artist supplies shop, ask for "matt spray varnish", or for a different finish, "satin"

Date: 02/08/16 09:13

Sorry, should've been more clear ~ rattle can.
Thanks!
Phil

Date: 02/08/16 09:27
Author: Stottman

You are in the Boise/Nampa area right? Did they finally put HobbyTown out of its misery?

Hobby lobby on Eagle (left before the one in Nampa opened), most of the Michael's, and even Wal-Mart carry dullcote. Wal-mart was actually the cheapest. 

I have tried various alternatives after moving from ID to Germany, I ended up just driving 6 hours to Belguim to buy dullcote. 

The Artist supply stuff is not as forgiving, and some will even cloud over. 

Some have had good things to say about the Krylon stuff though. 

Date: 02/08/16 10:01

Yes, I'm in the Boise area.
Hobbytown Boise went out of business last year, then we lost our LHS in Eagle (Model Train Warehouse) at the end of the year.
I think Hobbytown Nampa closed before then.
I bought a 400mm sized can of "Army Painter"  anti-shine varnish from Hobbytown for $10.99 before they went out of business.
That can is almost empty and produced good results on several buildings.
And, I have a 11 oz can of Krylon Matte Finish (I guess that's varnish too?) with a $7.99 Hobby Lobby price sticker on it.
The little Dullcote rattle cans are expensive and don't last long.
I guess I will try the Krylon again and see how it works.
I'm getting into a new phase of building more buildings and will soon tackle my first rolling stock weathering attempt.
Phil

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/16 10:30 by philhoov.

Date: 02/08/16 10:09
Author: SPDRGWfan

MB Kleins just posted a "how to" weathring video and the guy there sprayed his Genesis Milwaukee box car with a dull coat he said he got from an art store, Michaels I think but he did shoot it with an airbrush.  I like the idea that it was not a type with solvent vapors like is typical of rattle can paints however.  Thats a plus since I don't have a paint booth.

CHeers, JIm Fitch

Date: 02/08/16 10:13
Author: grahamline

Model Master has a line of clear top coats. ou can find them in some craft stores line Joanne's and in hobby shops catering to aircraft and military modelers.

http://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/model-master/primers-top-coats-thinners-cleaners/lacquer-primers

Date: 02/08/16 11:28
Author: NSTopHat

Tamiya in a can. Far superior to Testors Dullcoat or the newer Mdel Masters equilant. Floquil had a better product that Testors or the Model Master version, but that is now gone.

Can be ordered on line and shipped directly to you by Tamiya, Hobby Town USA,or Squadron.

<EDIT> - Scalecoat now under Minuteman Hobbies, now offers clear flat, clear satin and clear gloss in spray cans. Though I haven't tried any of these three options yet, I have successfully used several other offerings from Scalecoat in a spray can.

Regards,
Russ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/16 11:40 by NSTopHat.

Date: 02/08/16 12:25
Author: herronpeter

If a product works well, why take a chance on trying something else?  I understand Dullcote is more expensive but why risk ruining a good paintjob with an inferior product that might get cloudy.  It wouldn't be a huge problem on a building as that can be fixed with some weathering but a locomotive?
My 2 cents,

Peter

Date: 02/08/16 16:38
Author: judahrice

Whatever you do, don't use the Krylon one. My friend bought some, and he sprayed it on his nice Proto2000 hopper car, and it dried solid white. Stay away from that stuff!

Date: 02/08/16 16:45

Sounds like DullCoat, despite the cost and small cans, is the safest alternative.
So far, my weathering has been limited to buildings and everything has turned out okay.
As I turn toward weathering some rolling stock and locomotives, I don't want to chance ruining anything that's valuable.
Phil

Date: 02/09/16 00:18
Author: Stottman

I have had the Tamiya stuff cloud over as well. Allot of the "alternatives" are not as forgiving when sprayed over oil vs water based, or when receiving another paint over them like when doing weathering. 

Nothing like watching a $40 freight car cloud over, then realizing that nobody makes decals for the scheme..... 

Date: 02/09/16 10:36
Author: MRL

Hobby Lobby sells Dullcote. At least the one by me does.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0764 seconds