Home Open Account Help 270 users online

Model Railroading > SP&S Caboose roof color

Date: 02/09/16 07:34
SP&S Caboose roof color
Author: BNModeler

Was the roof the same color as the body or was it painted differently?

Date: 02/09/16 15:02
Re: SP&S Caboose roof color
Author: Dilworth

i do believe they wre the same color
what era do you model

Date: 02/09/16 15:11
Author: Cal_Bodfish

Which type of caboose. I'm doing a 900 series EV and the pix I've found show silver. Some of the other types have black roofs.

On other SP&S points.

What's a good paint for SP&S caboose red.

Has anyone tried these decals? It's the only set I can find that has "The Northwest's Own Railway". The Champ set is impossible to find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SP-S-Spokane-Portland-Caboose-Decals-imrc-Atlas-walthers-funaro-brass-kit-HO-/281872018222?hash=item41a0e1ab2e:g:wX8AAOSwAKxWXRg-

Dave

Date: 02/09/16 20:13
Author: rschonfelder

I think you have to decide which caboose series you want the info on.  The 900 series were among the last purchases of the SP&S and they had galvanised roof unpainted (ie silver).  The low and high cupola steel cabooses which were Brainerd (nearly identical to NP's 1000 series) built IIRC were red roof but many photos show them with alot of dirt on so many think of them as black.  The earlier ex-GN cabooses were black as they were wood cabooses and had tar covering of some sort.

I am more than happy to be corrected on this but the only trusted people that I normally consult is Bruce Barney, Ed Austin or Paul Hobbs.  If those guys don't know something on the SP&S then the info is very liklely lost to time.

Rick

Date: 02/09/16 21:32
Author: arwye

In a nutshell, after looking at a few slides, the wood sided cabooses had black roofs, and the steel cabooses had red roofs. The last 900 series extended vision cabooses had the galvanized steel roofs with red overspray from the sides.

BNModeler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was the roof the same color as the body or was it
> painted differently?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0463 seconds