Home Open Account Help 362 users online

Model Railroading > Carbon Jct. TO office finally sees a train

Date: 04/25/16 22:55
Carbon Jct. TO office finally sees a train
Author: railstiesballast

A recently completed DCC install for a Blue Box set of NP freight Fs turned out to be the first train thru Carbon Jct.
Side note:  After this last week this is my LAST one, that is the Blue Box Fs.  I am spoiled by the newer stuff but I had picked up that one at a swap meet and thought I'd give it a go.
Have a set of ATSF freight units, they are going to get Stewart/Kato chassis swaps.
Where's the SP?
Several 2006 era SPs out and running (some with UP patches) but too far out of era for a TO office.

Date: 04/26/16 06:42
Re: Carbon Jct. TO office finally sees a train
Author: Dilworth

nice np shots who makes the octagon shed

Date: 04/26/16 15:35
Author: johnsweetser

> ... who makes the octagon shed

An article about modeling an octagonal concrete relay shed can be found on pgs. 58-61 of  "Ron Tarjany on Trackside Structures, Vol. 1."  Photocopies can probably be obtained from the Kalmbach Memorial Library or maybe even the Calif. State RR Museum Library.

Shapeways makes (or did two years ago) an octagonal concrete phone booth, but it's narrower than the relay shed seen in the photo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/16 18:35 by johnsweetser.

Date: 04/26/16 21:44
Author: railstiesballast

That octagon concrete shed was/is sold by the Northern Pacific Railroad Historical Asso. in their on line "company store", in set of three.
I remember similar buildings on the SP that were used for flamable storage in addition to signal enclosures.
The story line a Carbon Jct. is that it houses the controls for the local interlocking at the junction.  The operator has control over the switches for the diverging route plus the end of double track.
In later years the TO office is gone but an aluminum enclosure replaces it.  For the TO era there will be motor car set-offs.  This was just a quick shot with a pocket camera.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0516 seconds