Home Open Account Help 163 users online

Model Railroading > A quickie caboose conversion.

Date: 04/25/16 23:02
A quickie caboose conversion.
Author: railstiesballast

Years ago I had purchased a laser kit for the NP 24-foot caboose but there was never time.....you all know how that goes.
Then wandering through my LHS I saw that Walthers had a "DM&IR" 24-foot caboose in NP colors.  Close enough I said.
The DMIR cab has two side windows on the cupola so I cut them out and fit in a bit of styrene and scribed wood to resemble the NP style.
Other quick changes were to cut off the brake staff and put on a brakewheel and paint the end grabirons Box Car Red (they were yellow on the Walthers decorated version.)
This is Walthers lettering and trucks (just painted a faded black and dusted with rust.)
A bit of dust and Dullcote and time to take it out for a ride, here along the Cascade River. 
Not done are the more correct stove stack and round tops for the roof ladder.
But I still want to do the wood one...

Date: 04/26/16 07:37
Re: A quickie caboose conversion.
Author: BAB

Have two of those kits not started and one basic built up needing all of the details done in1.5" scale sitting on truck on my work bench and me walking by it every day saying need to get it done. And I am retired doing?? Yup mabe tommorw.

Date: 04/26/16 08:02
Author: tomstp

There is a lot of "character" in that caboose.  I like it.

Date: 04/26/16 09:04
Author: boejoe

Fooled me.  I even thought it might be on of the former Ambroid Heritage series (H-13) that was offered in the 70's as a kit.  It was made for them by Quality Craft who later sold the rights to Gloor Craft and they also offered the same caboose.  Well done.

Date: 04/26/16 09:48
Author: TCnR

Interesting discovery.
I also have a couple of the Laser-kits on the approach to the workbench, although it will be quite a while until anything lands or takes off from that workbench.

Date: 04/26/16 10:45
Author: funnelfan

Nice model. I painted up a brass model of a NP caboose last year for a friend.

Posted from Android

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0412 seconds