Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Model Railroading > Tool to remove Walthers passenger car roof

Date: 04/26/16 20:51
Tool to remove Walthers passenger car roof
Author: gnguy

I think I finally found the right tools to get the darned Walthers car tops off.  It is a set of pry tools used in the cell phone repair business.  available on Amazon as "professional opening pry tool set" for about $10.  see it in the photo.  Use the blue plastic or black plastic tools as they will not mar the surface.  Set a metric ruler next to the car and follow the walthers diagram as to where the tabs are.  First one was hard but I learned to slant the tool down towards the windows and press into the opening in the beige panel to click the tabs.  DO NOT twist the tools as it will leave a mark.  just push.  I know Walthers says to use an exacto chisel blade but it it too wide and leaves marks.
Mike Stewart 
Oakley, CA

Date: 04/27/16 11:11
Re: Tool to remove Walthers passenger car roof
Author: rrman6

Mike,
I like what you say about use of the plastic tools concerning possible marring otherwise with metal ones.  I bought the X-acto blade recommended by Walthers but haven't yet the courage to try it so glad for the help here.  
I've yet to see a Walthers car with the top removed until viewing your picture and now I see the beige panel you speak of.  I can imagine the first slot (nearest the left end) would be difficult with less flexibility.  It seems sometimes we have to learn from our mistakes.  I've had the same situation with removing the body of a Spectrum gas-electric motorcar with retainers near the end.
Thanks for sharing this info and now, I feel less stress in attempting the operation.
Carl

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/16 11:13 by rrman6.

Date: 04/27/16 13:44
Re: Tool to remove Walthers passenger car roof
Author: retcsxcfm

This tool and idea has been around a while.It was first mentioned for use
on the Mainline cars.I never thought about using it on the Proto series.
Thanks for the idea.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0301 seconds