Home Open Account Help 282 users online

Model Railroading > spray paint

Date: 05/02/16 11:57
spray paint
Author: hldtrains

I am looking for a commercially available spray paint that has some "acceptable" railroad colors.  Colors that are close to Pullman green and boxcar red.  Any suggestions you can offer are most appreciated.

Date: 05/02/16 12:02
Re: spray paint
Author: retcsxcfm

I think Weaver has what you need.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.

Date: 05/02/16 13:09
Author: EH49

Didn't Weaver go out of business a couple years ago?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/02/16 13:24
Author: SPED

Go to Minuteman Scale Models

Ed

Date: 05/02/16 13:30
Author: VaCentralRy

Are you looking for the type available in large cans (like a Krylon), auto touch-up spray paint, or actual designed for model railroad use?

John

Date: 05/02/16 13:52
Author: hldtrains

Yes,  would prefer brands available in hardware stores, etc.  Thanks.

Date: 05/02/16 13:57
Author: fbe

Some of those commercial paints will eat plastic models so try them out on unseen places and scrap models first.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/02/16 13:59
Author: grahamline

I've had some luck taking a color print into the hardware store and trying to match car colors against the caps. But the range of colors in Krylon and Rustoleum is a lot narrower than what Floquil and PollyScale produced.  And the lighting in hardware stores usually isn't color-balanced for daylight.
I can safely say I haven't found Armour Yellow in a big spray can.

Date: 05/02/16 14:10

You can bet the UP buys caseload lots of Armour Yellow spray cans. How does a guy on the street get ahold of them?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/02/16 14:18
Author: RichM

If you can identify who Union Pacific buys their coatings from, those suppliers will have the precise tint stock ratios dialed in, and make spray can quantities available. That's at least how it works in my business. May be a question as to whether the formulation is restricted to UP buyers only..

​Conventional wisdom used to say that modeling paints had much finer pigment milling than commercial paints. Any truth to this anymore?

Date: 05/02/16 15:21
Author: bnsfsd70

The best that I've found for model purposes have been from Tamiya.  They go on exceptionally smoothly, though you won't be able to find them in hardware stores.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 05/02/16 16:50
Author: tomstp

Model paints do have finer pigment.

Date: 05/02/16 17:24
Author: NSTopHat

SPED Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Go to Minuteman Scale Models
>
> Ed

Yes, Ed is correct, Minuteman Scale Models picked up the ScaleCoat line when Weaver Models dropped it. And yes, they still make the spray cans.

Regards,
Russ

Date: 05/02/16 17:27

The OP didn't say what he was going to use the paint for, perhaps it is for live steam or large scale outdoor railroading. Maybe it is for wooden pull toys for kids. We won't really know unless we are told.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/02/16 17:48
Author: Frisco1522

When I built several of the AMB Frisco wood cabooses, I bought a spray can of Duplicolor Sandable Red Primer and it was a perfect red for them.  I also used it on some other cars and am very happy with it.  Got it at O'Reilly.

Date: 05/03/16 01:00
Re: spray paint - Pullman green
Author: BN7023

If you want to paint polystyrene to the Pullman green, try Tamiya AS-24, dark green (Luftwaffe), Late WWII German Air Force.
http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/as.htm

Date: 05/03/16 07:16
Author: BAB

In large scale 1 1/2" have used ruddy brown primer with semi gloss clear over it for flat cars. I use rustolium, yes I know the spelling is wrong roll with it please.

Date: 05/03/16 14:27
Author: WrongWayMurphy

BAB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In large scale 1 1/2" have used ruddy brown primer
> with semi gloss clear over it for flat cars. I use
> rustolium, yes I know the spelling is wrong roll
> with it please.

i prefer to spray mine on. :-)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.037 seconds