Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Model Railroading > Bachmann 2-6-0 decoder

Date: 05/17/16 01:31
Bachmann 2-6-0 decoder
Author: exprail

=smallRecently I purchased a new Bachmann 2-6-0 which I thought was DCC/Sound but have found to my disappointment that it is in fact only DCC ready. The fault is my own not the sellers for not double checking to make sure the engine was DCC/Sound Value.

=smallMy question is how do I go about adding DCC/Sound to this engine? I know I can probably put in a DCC plug but how do I add Sound? 
=smallCan I simply buy a decoder from Bachmann and make an easy swap? Purchase a decoder/sound equipped tender and swap shells?

=smallAny suggestions/information are very much appreciated.

=smallThanks,

=smallBarry

Date: 05/17/16 01:48
Re: Bachmann 2-6-0 decoder
Author: calsubd

Sell it as is (New) and save yourself the hassle, buy the one you wanted , unless your inclined to self torture

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 05/17/16 05:25
Author: WrongWayMurphy

It's an easy install, in fact it's better to use a Soundtrax Economi steam decoder, or WoW sound steam decoder as
the stock Bachmann " sound equipped" decoder is weak.  The key is using a good speaker.

Google the subject matter and you will get step by step instructions.

Date: 05/17/16 06:55
Author: BAB

I agree as the new Soundtraxx eco series decoder with plugs one can also order the extesnion harness with plugs on both ends that plug into the bachmann board and into the eco decoder. The decoder also has a place to plug in the current keeper and speaker too.

Date: 05/17/16 08:21

BAB thanks, for the information. Can you provide any additional details, decoder #, harness #, plug in speaker # or installation details?

Thanks to you and Wrong Way Murphy for the help.

Barry, all new to this stuff.

Date: 05/18/16 06:46

I do not have that info but call them direct and they will give you the correct number for the one which as all plugs, three total, on the board think its 200PNP but not sure. Thats the way I found it seems I cleaned off my desk and with it went the numbers I had scratched out. Also you can oreder direct from them when you call. Ask for the 9 to 8 pin harness and the decoder for either steam or diesel of corse and you have enough room in the tender for there new plug in current keper too so get that also. When you get the new board cut the plastic heat shrink off from around the connector carefully so you can remove them and put on the new ones. Also make sure you use some electrical tape to cover any exposed board areas. Good luck, but like I said they are nice to work with so give them a call. Boyd in Chiloquin
-------------------------------------------------------
> BAB thanks, for the information. Can you provide
> any additional details, decoder #, harness #, plug
> in speaker # or installation details?
>
> Thanks to you and Wrong Way Murphy for the help.
>
> Barry, all new to this stuff.

Date: 05/18/16 06:52

Ok went on there web site, Currentkeeper, 810140,harness 810135, this is the one I think you want but call them to make sure eco 200 but tell them you want the one with all plug in harnesses on both ends. Boyd

Date: 05/18/16 10:17

Thanks, for the details, Boyd. I'll give them a call this afternoon.

BTW, do you mind if I post this information to the Bachmann website since there appears to many others interested in doing this modification?

Thanks, again for going the extra mile.

Barry  

Date: 05/18/16 17:45

Not at all as there seems to be many who are trying to do the same like you say but are like me cant solder very well anymore and that takes the hurt out of conversions. By the way think that the decoder is two amp. That really doesnt mean much to HO guys but it does in some larger scale engies. One can always use less than the rated but once you go over it lests all the smoke out. Take care and do hope all works out for you. Boyd in Chiloquin working hard to be ready for our first public run on our 1.5" Train Mountain Rail Road.
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, for the details, Boyd. I'll give them a
> call this afternoon.
>
> BTW, do you mind if I post this information to the
> Bachmann website since there appears to many
> others interested in doing this modification?
>
> Thanks, again for going the extra mile.
>
> Barry  

Date: 05/18/16 19:38

Thanks, Boyd. I'll put a compliation of your posts together and share it on the Bachmann board.

Btw, I retired last year after fifty years as a railroader and always ejoyed 1" and 1 1/2" scale trains. At one time I was close to buying some equipment and track for a backyard railroad but now confine my efforts to a simple HO shortline.

Enjoy Train Mountain and again thanks for all your help.

Barry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0502 seconds