Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Model Railroading > A/F #336 Northern info

Date: 05/21/16 17:36
A/F #336 Northern info
Author: patd3985

Howdy Again!.. I have been trying to find info on how to put a front-end knuckle coupler on my American Flyer U.P. Northern. There is a video on Youtube that shows them double-heading 2 A/F #336 Northerns and I'm wondering how they did it. Because the couplers on these engines is inoperable and part of the pilot casting, did they just kit-bash the front pilot and install a A/F knuckle coupler or maybe just "Gerry Rigged" them together with wire, rubber bands, or what-have-you? Do/did they make a special kit for this project?..The video doesn't show or explain their procedure, but it's pretty cool to watch them pull quite a long freight train! It's something I'd like to have on my "Northern", to shove cars and anything else that comes to mind!.I've tried all local hobby stores for miles around and nobody seems to know anything about this. .Any info?..........Thanx,........Pat

Date: 05/21/16 19:51
Re: A/F #336 Northern info
Author: Streamliner

There is no kit.  Any modification that would allow for a front coupler would require major surgery and would significantly hurt the collector value of any decent, original 336.  

Date: 05/22/16 09:32

Streamliner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is no kit.  Any modification that would
> allow for a front coupler would require major
> surgery and would significantly hurt the collector
> value of any decent, original 336.

Hi  Again Streamliner!...Well, after some digging, I found out that these doubleheaders were performed by using a "speciallly built drawbar with a coupler" that is attached to the screw that holds the pilot of the second engine and doesn't require any permanent changes. The rear coupler of the lead engine then couples to the drawbar! How to make one (or get one) was not available in his info. I wish he would have at least shown a picture or drawing of one or how to make one, but he didn't!..  Well, after seeing this and finding out the "secret", I see my next small project rearing it's ugly head!............Later,............Pat

Date: 05/23/16 05:43
Author: trainboy03

My dad has a similar drawbar between a pair of 322 Hudsons.  It is basically a plate that attaches to the pony truck with an "arm" that goes under the cast pilot which allows the knuckle coupler to attach to.  I'll try to get a photo of it next weekend when I'm visiting.

Erik

Date: 05/23/16 05:50

I got to thinking and found a "Double-header Drawbar" available from Port Lines Hobbies (portlines.com).  The part ID is 225:  "easily adapts an AF Hudson or Northern to double-heading."  The part sells for $10.95.

From the homepage, go to American Flyer Parts -> Parts S-Z -> Steamers -> Northern

Erik

Date: 05/23/16 08:38

Wow Erik! Thanx-a-bunch for that info about the doubleheader drawbar! I ordered one right after getting it!.. I went right to their website, followed your great directions and....Buda-Bing!..Buda-BOOM! It was quite easy to navigate! Thanx Again!..............Pat

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/16 08:39 by patd3985.

Date: 05/23/16 16:15

Oh Boy! My saga continues! After getting off the drawbar info thread, my girlfriend called me up and asked if I was still looking for a good ping-pong table for my "little A/F shortline"! She said that there are several on Craig's list and they seem like pretty good deals! Well, I checked them all out and found one that is a "professional" table and it folds up and has heavy duty caster wheels on it! The damned thing weighs about 200 lbs., but is really heavy duty and actually quite easy to move around or store! I even bought it from a lady in my neighborhood and she sold it to me for only $50.00! And she threw in all the ping-pong stuff to go with it (balls included). Boys...I'm on a roll here!!!.....Hey...Have a GREAT day!...I am!       Later,...Pat

Date: 05/23/16 18:06

Glad to hear you're making progress!  Several of my first layouts were on the family ping-pong table growing up.

Erik

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0533 seconds