Home Open Account Help 263 users online

Model Railroading > Walthers Proto wheel sets with metal axles

Date: 05/23/16 19:27
Walthers Proto wheel sets with metal axles
Author: fbe

The part #920-2300 is for 12 axles @ $13.98. I just put these in the trucks for a couple my new Accurail PS 4750 covered hoppers.

The axles are a perfect fit and if you blow on a truck with the new wheelsets it will move.

EDIT:

My bad. The proto wheels are 33" size which are not right for a 100t hopper. At least we know Walthers got the axles right and I suspect 36" wheels are not far off.

Try 920-2302 for the 36" wheels with metal axles.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/16 11:40 by fbe.

Date: 05/25/16 17:42
Re: Walthers Proto wheel sets with metal axles
Author: 70ACE

Another source of metal wheel with metal axles is good, but 12 axles for $13.98 ( 1.17 per axle) is at the high end for price.  I think that Intemountain metal wheel sets can still be found in the .92 to .97 per axle range when purchased in 12 set packaging.  I've also heard first hand that Bachmann is now selling all metal wheel sets for around .85 per axle for 12 wheel sets

Has Walthers kept the former wheel profile developed by Lifelike or has followed the other "made in China" designs?  The former P2K wheel profile is what really set those wheel sets on a pedestal If they had been introduced with metal axles, I don't think the other manufacturers would be in business.

Date: 05/25/16 17:51
Author: 70ACE

70ACE Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another source of metal wheel with metal axles is
> good, but 12 axles for $13.98 ( 1.17 per axle) is
> at the high end for price.  I think that
> Intemountain metal wheel sets can still be found
> in the .92 to .97 per axle range when purchased in
> 12 set packaging.  I've also heard first hand
> that Bachmann is now selling all metal wheel sets
> for around .85 per axle for 12 wheel sets
>
> Has Walthers kept the former wheel profile
> developed by Lifelike or has followed the other
> "made in China" designs?  The former P2K wheel
> profile is what really set those wheel sets on a
> pedestal If they had been introduced with metal
> axles, I don't think the other manufacturers would
> be in business.

Just looked them up on the Walthers Web page: They look exactly like the metal wheels Athearn uses for their newer trucks...

Date: 05/26/16 18:40
Author: grahamline

Has there been a resupply of Exactrail wheels? Saw them briefly in local shops, but then nothing.

Date: 05/27/16 02:14
Author: fbe

The word at the recent NWRPM meet I attended about two weeks ago is exacteail got out of the wheel making business and sold the machine tools they owned to produce them.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/28/16 07:10
Author: TangentScaleModels

You guys might want to check out the CNC_machined wheels available from Tangent Scale Models.  Here: http://www.tangentscalemodels.com/product-category/wheelsets/

Thank you,

David Lehlbach
Tangent Scale Models

Date: 06/23/16 14:56
Author: jdw3460

The old P2K wheels with plastic axles didn't have a very long life.  They might be OK for minimum use, but the thin plating would wear off, exposing the cheap cr*p wheels.  I hope the new ones are brass, or they'll be no competition for Intermountain.  My wheels have put in a lot of miles on a club layout, but not many on P2K wheels.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0462 seconds