Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Model Railroading > Who has made military containers?

Date: 05/24/16 08:41
Who has made military containers?
Author: inCHI

There is a thread on the eastern board showing a military train that is all 20' containers, some regular-looking, some shorter in height than a standard 20' container.

I'm wondering what models have existed of these. I found an athearn set of tan containers, but nothing else so far. In that video I cited, many containers are green, and they have placards. Outside of a commercial model, I was looking at the option to painting and decaling, but so far I've only found decals for engines and freight cars, not containers. Any help is appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/16 08:57 by inCHI.

Date: 05/24/16 09:18
Re: Who has made military containers?
Author: NSTopHat

No one commercially has produced either the tan or the green 20' sea cans that the DOD uses for transport. Microscale created a pair of decal sets, but neither carry the reporting marks and minimual lettering for the 20' containers. I know of a gentlemen who has run decal sets covering all types of military equipment, including the 20' cans, but am not sure if he still hs them available. I will reach out to him. I was planning on using the current offerings from both Athearn and Walthers, as I have seen a couple of different heights used, as some appear to have been rehab'd commercial sea cans.

Maybe our resident military expert Mr. Dave Olsen can chime in as well.....

Regards,
Russ

Date: 05/24/16 10:36
Author: Stottman

We took standard 20' shipping containers to Iraq and back. They were railheaded to the port and back. 

Date: 05/24/16 10:55
Author: fbe

I think I would just buy swap meet 40x8x8 containers then cut the door frame along one end. Measure back the proper length and cut along a rib to reapply the end.

Athearn used to make 20' containers back in the 60s-70s with smooth sides. I don't remember if they did rib sides to match. Their 89' flats came with 1 40' and 2 20' boxes.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/24/16 11:52
Author: inCHI

Thanks for the suggestions so far. In the video on the Eastern Board, the containers are rib sided and look very similar or identical to regular shipping containers. I have some spare 20' containers and know a hobby shop that likely has old stock for a good price, and I could paint them. But then I'd need decals. I'm specifically looking to have some placarded for ammo.

Otherwise, the use of regular marine containers is helpful, so I can mix those into whatever scene would make sense.

Date: 05/24/16 13:18
Author: miralomarail

Try looking on the website called   " Military Rails Online "

Date: 05/25/16 07:39
Author: dropframe

Trident Miniatures made some 20' military continaters. 20' containers part #970090.

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0315 seconds