Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Model Railroading > Helix

Date: 05/25/16 17:51
Helix
Author: video7105

So this thread is to pole opinions on installing roadbed on the helix or mounting the track straight to the plywood?

The helix is finished, rail gang is working over the holiday weekend to install the double track helix main. The 2 radius are 42 and 38.  The is space for the roadbed to be installed, if that's the case. 

Thanks
Dave
Mount Joy, PA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/16 17:53 by video7105.

Date: 05/25/16 18:51
Re: Helix
Author: SeaboardMan

You didn't install the track as you built the helix?    That track gang is going to have fun.  Without roadbed it will get noisy, I would (and did) if I were you.
john

Date: 05/25/16 19:23

Because the helix is some 7'+ in diameter and the fact there is plenty of space between levels to install the trackwork, the decision was to not lay the rail while the helix was built. Am not expecting to have issues laying the track and roadbed, if that is the decision. 

Dave

Date: 05/25/16 21:08
Author: NDHolmes

Personally, I'm a fan of roadbed on the helix to help dampen some of the noise.

Date: 05/26/16 05:07
Author: acltrainman

From a little work on a friends Helix and advise from a friend , who is a great modler, you should lay track and wire as the layers are adeded. It will be a lot easier to do the work as the helix progresses.

Stanley Jackowski
Valrico, FL

Date: 05/26/16 05:22
Author: andrewcastle

I also installed the track in my helix after building the rest, it worked fine. I soldered two lengths of flextrack together to make 6' super-flextracks then glued them in place on the helix with caulking.

I used N scale cork for roadbed on my HO scale helix. I wanted a bit of roadbed to dampen the sound of the trains but didn't have a lot of clearance. A couple years later I am still happy with the desicion to use roadbed and I would do it again.

Andrew C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/16 05:22 by andrewcastle.

Date: 05/26/16 05:48
Author: rapidotrains

I would use EVA foam for roadbed. It has the best sound-deadening qualities.

Cork just transfers the noise to the plywood.

A long freight with metal wheels going through a plywood helix will drown out everything around it.

-Jason

Date: 05/26/16 06:04
Author: santafedan

rapidotrains Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would use EVA foam for roadbed. It has the best
> sound-deadening qualities.
>
> Cork just transfers the noise to the plywood.

More so when ballasted.

>
> A long freight with metal wheels going through a
> plywood helix will drown out everything around
> it.
>
> -Jason

Date: 05/26/16 06:38
Author: TCnR

Another vote for foam roadbed for sound deadening, tried to use adhesives to minimize the transfer of noise. The wheel noise seems to build up in the helix but also on the approach to the helix.

Most folks are concerned about clearance between the levels.

Date: 05/26/16 07:42
Author: ntharalson

video7105 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because the helix is some 7'+ in diameter and the
> fact there is plenty of space between levels to
> install the trackwork, the decision was to not lay
> the rail while the helix was built. Am not
> expecting to have issues laying the track and
> roadbed, if that is the decision. 
>
> Dave

I'd like to see some photos of this.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 05/28/16 19:29
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Use that Woodland Scenics or similar foam roadbed.  You'll hate the noise of track on the plywood, but by then its too late.

Use the foam roadbed material.

Date: 05/29/16 18:51
Author: rschonfelder

I personally believe that there is no noise which transfers to plywood if your plywood is thick enough and supported well.  You will always have rail noise just from the contact of the wheel on the rail and that cannot be eliminated.

Regarding th other question, I built my helix and layed track after.  It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to figure out how to place the rail and and nail it down using a set of needle nose pliers to hold the nail and then tap in the nail using the flat side of an electrical plier.  Then bring it home by levering or pressing the nail home.  I bought the curve jigs from Fast Tracks to assist.  Perfect curves were attained.

Rick

Date: 05/29/16 19:34

Helix, prior to rail gang laying track thid weekend

Date: 05/29/16 19:35

More

Date: 05/29/16 19:36

the helix is 44" radius

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds