Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Model Railroading > TrinityRail 31k Crude Oil Tank Cars (ScaleTrains)

Date: 05/26/16 11:31
TrinityRail 31k Crude Oil Tank Cars (ScaleTrains)
Author: wheel_slip

With the exception of the coverage of MrMRL's unit train of ScaleTrains.com of tank cars I haven't seen much on-line about these cars now that they are out on the street. There was a lot of talk when these models made it to the states and it was discovered that there were some issues with handling and the couplers, but not much in the photograph/review department.

I admit that I waited too long to get in on the first order of these cars and in doing so, I have to wait for the second batch of these cars in order to get some black cars, but in this world of pre-order sales, this is the risk I took. Actually I didn't know that the black cars I ordered were part of the second run, until I opened the box and found only one car and a note mentioning the second run should be here in July. I called ScaleTrains.com to inquire and comment about the order and how confusing their website is and the gal who answered the phone kind of apologized and explained that they were new to this and on top of that, they are a product based company, not an IT company... So....My ordering experience leaves a bit to be desired, but these guys are just starting out, so I am hoping things get smoother and they are able to get their web presence a bit more polished...

Now about the tank car... Holy Crap is this a nice car! I would venture to say that this may be one of the finest plastic model freight cars available today. Yes, I have some Tangent and ExactRail models that are hard to beat, but these things are beautiful. What a great start to the Rivet Counter line of models. Paint and lettering are superb, construction is flawless and the roller bearing trucks are awesome. I wish I could find something to criticize, but I really can't. Operation of the car is great and although the pictures show the coupler sagging a bit, it it more exaggerated in the image than in real life and the car couples and tracks fine.

So... There's my mini review of the first Rivet Counter car from ScaleTrains.com Awesome car...

Andy       

Date: 05/26/16 12:10
Re: TrinityRail 31k Crude Oil Tank Cars (ScaleTrains)
Author: SPDRGWfan

Pretty aweome.  I'm looking forward to ST making something equally awesome for the 1970's!

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 05/26/16 12:58
Author: fbe

Scale Trains was kind enough to donate two of these to the MWRPM meet in Monroe WA where the attracted lots of interest and drawing tickets.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/26/16 13:35
Author: SP_8299

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pretty aweome.  I'm looking forward to ST making
> something equally awesome for the 1970's!
>
> Cheers, Jim Fitch

Debuted in the late 1970s: http://www.scaletrains.com/collections/rivet-counter-ho-gatc-airslide-4566-covered-hopper
Debuted in the mid 1960s: http://www.scaletrains.com/collections/operator-ho-gatc-4180cf-airslide-covered-hopper

Date: 05/26/16 14:21
Author: SPDRGWfan

SP_8299 Wrote:
> Debuted in the late 1970s:
> http://www.scaletrains.com/collections/rivet-count
> er-ho-gatc-airslide-4566-covered-hopper
> Debuted in the mid
> 1960s: http://www.scaletrains.com/collections/ope
> rator-ho-gatc-4180cf-airslide-covered-hopper

Thanks Paul.  I forgot about the Airslides.  It looks like only a couple of the roadnames offered seem to be good for 1970's, the ATSF and Chessie, and maybe one other barely squeaks in.  At least those are roadnames I don't already have in two bay Airslides.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 05/26/16 15:17
Author: Lighter

> construction is flawless and the roller bearing
> trucks are awesome.

Were the wheel faces painted?  If so, I think that would be a first for a mass produced car.

Date: 05/26/16 15:24
Author: Chooch

What do the blue roller bearing wheel caps denote?  I have seen them on prototype cars also.

Jim
​Hatboro, PA

Date: 05/26/16 18:50
Author: Hookdragkick

Chooch Wrote:
> What do the blue roller bearing wheel caps denote?
>  I have seen them on prototype cars also.
>
> Jim
> ​Hatboro, PA

The roller bearings are Brenco style bearings. The blue paint is their trademark.

Paint the bolts and locking plates on the caps so they really pop.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/16 18:57 by Hookdragkick.

Date: 05/26/16 19:41
Author: boomer

On the B end of your model, right below the hazmat placard it looks like the side has come unglued. It should match the other side of the car.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/27/16 04:41
Author: acltrainman

The wheel sets were blackened but I did paint them in a flat daek color. The factory sheen was too glossy. I paint all my wheel sets using Floquil, now Testors weathering paint pens. This takes away the shine even on factory blackened wheel sets.

Stanley Jackowski
Valrico, FL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0624 seconds