Home Open Account Help 342 users online

Model Railroading > Question ? Is it possible to Fasten Track Direct to Foam ?

Date: 05/26/16 14:22
Question ? Is it possible to Fasten Track Direct to Foam ?
Author: miralomarail

Since I prefer Shortlines to Class Ones, was wondering if I can lay HO Scale track down directly to the Extruded Foam instead of Cork, I want that look of Track that no longer has a nice roadbed

TIA Tom
Cherry Valley, Ca

Date: 05/26/16 14:38
Re: Question ? Is it possible to Fasten Track Direct to Foam ?
Author: fbe

The Liquid Nails water based glue works but you can also tack the track down then ballast the track. The diluted white glue or ballast cement will firmly stick the ties and ballast to the foam.

Once the adhesive is set pull the nails or tacks

Posted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/16 16:52 by fbe.

Date: 05/26/16 15:12
Author: DRGWTennPass

Aleen's Tacky Glue.
If the ties are plastic, scuff them first.

Have helped build three modules and two layouts without cork direct to blue foam.

RS

Date: 05/26/16 18:01
Author: dlh

I've done this and the look is exactly what you're wanting. Make certain you have plywood of something under the foam to deaden the sound of a train operating. Learned the hard way and later went back and cut plywood to fit up under the foam to deaden the sound. For glue I used adhesive caulk and then added some ballast. Works great - been in place 10 years with no problem.

Date: 05/26/16 23:36
Author: imrl

Cold not the same be done using sheet cork instead of directly on the foam?  My yard and many of my industry tracks are laid on sheet cork instead of the individual roadbed sections. 

Date: 05/27/16 03:40
Author: chakk

I am doing it with the plywood under the foam, which will only add extra weight and make it more difficult to lift out the layout (4 x 8) when I want to raise the seats in my minvan from under the floor for passengers instead of train ops.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/27/16 08:40
Author: SDP40F

I used Blue foam... I drilled holes in the outside 

tie and secured it with track nails. It holds with no problem. Only the foam was glued down.

That way I can move or adjust the track as needed... Or as the design changes...

Randy

AMK SDP40f
Spring,

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0372 seconds