Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Model Railroading > Favorite freight car - the shorty cement closed hopper

Date: 05/28/16 19:11
Favorite freight car - the shorty cement closed hopper
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Used to see these a lot on the Santa Fe in Central Texas and on the SP/SSW in East Texas.

Here is a Cotton Belt train on my home layout of 34 ft hoppers, my fav freight car, about half of which are from the Santa Fe.
A few are numbered and lettered according to photos taken of them in the 1980's near Temple TX.  The rest are just modeled
to my liking but accurate enough that they look like they belong with the others.  I have enough of these cars to double the
length of this train, but passing siding lengths make such a train impractical.  Geeps are P2K jobs, caboose is scratchbuilt
from styrene using photos from a couple Cotton Belt books in my possession.

As an aside, I have a friend that loves plain jane boxcar red 40 ft boxcars, and he probably has a couple hundred of them.
They all look the same to the average modeler, but they each are modeled against the same numbered real prototype boxcar. 

Yes, we are an odd lot sometimes ......

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/28/16 20:35
Re: Favorite freight car - the shorty cement closed hopper
Author: hogheaded

Nice!

Myself, I have a weakness for wine cars, particularly six dome tank versions. Six-domers are an expensive weakness, thus I have exactly one.

EO

Date: 05/28/16 21:12
Author: tomstp

Yup I have a wine-o car my self.  And, some of those short hoppers too.

Date: 05/29/16 09:22
Author: Hookdragkick

Good work on the caboose.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0285 seconds