Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Model Railroading > Where can I find trackside industry plans?

Date: 06/22/16 05:13
Where can I find trackside industry plans?
Author: steam290

I was wondering where you guys find the track layout for lineside industries and towns? Is there a particular book or website? I have my overall new layout mainline planned, but I want to replicate real industries track plans to recreate train movements and switching.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/22/16 06:28
Re: Where can I find trackside industry plans?
Author: funnelfan

Google Earth works good if you want to look at the track layout at prototype industries and rail yards. Not sure of a book geared to model railroaders that goes into detailed info on industries and their rail facilities.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/16 06:31 by funnelfan.

Date: 06/22/16 06:59
Author: BAB

For those who are into D&RGW, C&S steam there are books and plans avalible with layout of diffrent towns along with size of rail used, colors of buildings and such. Dont have the name in front of me right now but many of the buildings and layouts of them could be used on other layouts.

Date: 06/22/16 10:16
Author: HB90MACH

Kalmbach (Model Railroader) has books about industries. Your best bet is too look at the reagion you are modeling. Google earth and books on that area will help. The old insurance fire maps can be really good. A good railroad map of the area (like steam powered maps) will point out shortlines and such that can help as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/16 10:18 by HB90MACH.

Date: 06/22/16 11:04
Author: wabash2800

Yes, Jeff Wilson did a series of books on industries for Kalmbach and track plans are included including how the industries are served with car types and flow.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 06/22/16 11:05
Author: glendale

BAB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For those who are into D&RGW, C&S steam there are
> books and plans avalible with layout of diffrent
> towns along with size of rail used, colors of
> buildings and such. Dont have the name in front of
> me right now but many of the buildings and layouts
> of them could be used on other layouts.

Any chance you recalled these?

Date: 06/22/16 15:17
Author: iaisfan

If you're after railroad track charts, a large number of them can be found at http://www.multimodalways.org/archives/rrs/rrs.html .

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 06/22/16 16:40
Author: HB90MACH

First. They are the. Sanborn fire insurance maps.
Second. Ebay. Railroadania section under collectibles occassionally turns up good finds. Found a pic. A big pkc. Of ophir loop. The station and coalin facilities there. Quite an interesting set up. Out of all the articles and such over the years, first time i ever saw a clear picture inclidingnthe siding.. Dont pass up the auction and collectors sites up.

Date: 06/25/16 04:26
Author: march_hare

I'll second the motion for Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps. Especially if you're interested in a specific industry in a specific location. Good academic libraries have online ACcess to them. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0595 seconds