Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Model Railroading > new Athearn 53' reefer trailer roadnames, legit?

Date: 06/24/16 15:41
new Athearn 53' reefer trailer roadnames, legit?
Author: Fizzboy7

In today's announcement, several new schemes were listed.   I've seen most of these on other trailers, but some not on the ribbed Utility trailer.    I'd appreciate it if anyone knows which trailers are legit for these roads, and which may not be.   Perhaps they all are, but I don't think I've seen an Alliance, JB Hunt, or XTRA on these particular (ribbed) Utilitys.    Also, is that Werner's very latest scheme?   It's a new one on me.  

Thanks for any help!

http://www.athearn.com/newsletter/062416/07_RTR_53ft_Utility_Reefer_Trailer_062416.pdf

Date: 06/24/16 17:46
Re: new Athearn 53' reefer trailer roadnames, legit?
Author: SimpleMoMike

Found this on their webiste a picture of a trailer (not ribbed) with the new logo: http://www.truckingnewsonline.com/news/werner-enterprises-celebrates-six-decades-of-nationwide-trucking/

Werner Enterprises, a premier transportation and logistics provider, is celebrating its 60th anniversary this year. The trucking company, founded by C.L. Werner in 1956, hosted events on Monday at terminal locations and dedicated sites throughout the country to kick off the yearlong celebration.Werner also took the opportunity to introduce the new decal package that will adorn all of the company’s new trucks and trailers. The updated branding is being applied to new trucks and new white trailers as they are added to the company’s fleet. Werner’s truck age is expected to average less than 1.5 years by the end of 2016.

Date: 06/24/16 19:06
Author: needles_sub

Fizzboy7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In today's announcement, several new schemes were
> listed.   I've seen most of these on other
> trailers, but some not on the ribbed Utility
> trailer.    I'd appreciate it if anyone knows
> which trailers are legit for these roads, and
> which may not be.   Perhaps they all are, but I
> don't think I've seen an Alliance, JB Hunt, or
> XTRA on these particular (ribbed) Utilitys.  
>  Also, is that Werner's very latest scheme?  
> It's a new one on me.  
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> http://www.athearn.com/newsletter/062416/07_RTR_53
> ft_Utility_Reefer_Trailer_062416.pdf

I have never seen an Alliance ribbed utility trailer. All the trailers I have seen are smooth riveted/smooth sided trailers. To the best of my knowledge, Alliance doesn't buy used  trailers, so the trailer is bogus. The JB Hunt trailer is bogus. The only reefers the use are the 53' container reefers, although DCS Hunt has reefers in the fleet. But they are all smooth side. Someone at Athearn really dropped the ball.
I have never seen a XTRA ribbed utility trailer, only smooth sided ones. I'll have to say this is bogus also.
Wheels Cliiper has 53' and 48' utility reefers in the fleet, but I have always seen them in the old Clipper scheme. I figure there's gotta be a least a couple of trailers in this scheme. 
GO 2 Logistics I have never seen, so I can't comment on this one.
I have seen new utility's with the new Werner scheme, but the trailers have newer style refrigeration units. So these are almost right.
Again, this are based on my personal observation. I welcome any corrections.

Date: 06/24/16 19:12
Author: funnelfan

Pretty much Foobies, the JB Hunt should be contrainers, and the Alliance should be smooth side trailers.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 06/24/16 20:17

Thanks for all the responses.   Pretty much confirms what I had suspected.   I am very pleased someone (Athearn in this case) is giving us missing roadnames that are much needed for those who do modern intermodal.  However, this particular run is very strange.  

The Alliance trailers are usually Wabash, which Athearn actually produces.  Yet they chose their Utility.   You can even see the Wabash logo on the artwork trailer.

I just did a fair amount of research on the GO 2 trailers, and they do indeed use Utility.   But they are all smooth sided.   For those not familiar with this company, they have been seen on BNSF's southern transcom for about two years now.   Not super common, but usually see at least one per day.

Never seen a ribbed XTRA Lease Utility.  Don't think such one exists.   Again, plenty Wabash ones exist, a trailer Athearn offers but didn't use.

JB Hunt Utility is way off.    

The Werner artwork also shows a Wabash logo.    I couldn't fine any pics of a Utility with this scheme.   I've also not seen this anniversary scheme on a train yet, but it could have happened already.

The Wheels/Clipper trailer is semi-there.    The prototype is a Utility, but a smooth side.   

I suspect some of these trailers will sell regardless.   But it is strange Athearn would offer these roadnames on a certain trailer, when they indeed have the right trailer to use.   What is more frustrating, at least on my end, I have been in communication with Athearn for several years regarding future roadnames for the two trailers they have.    Sent them tons of pics and some history.   It seemed like they were pretty receptive and excited about making some of them.    I guess this is the result.    Again, I'll take it, but it's a bit frustrating.
In the meantime, I've also been talking to Walthers about similar trailer projects.   They hint a future run of their generic 53' trailer is coming soon.

Lastly, to point out real quick, Trucks N Stuff went out of business.

Jason Eminian
Smith Brothers Hobby Center

Date: 06/24/16 22:21
Author: csxwilsmere

All of the GO 2 trailers I have seen are smooth sided...

-Donnie

Date: 06/25/16 04:48
Author: SPDRGWfan

Jason, for modern trailers, well, Trainworx has done them in N scale and might be pursued to do them in HO like they did their drop frame trailer. I am trying to get them to do their Brown 40' trailer in HO and it may be a possibility. Just sayin....
Cheers, Jim

Posted from Android

Date: 06/25/16 09:06
Author: bioyans

Athearn's decision to make foobies is a real head scratcher, considering some of the older names they did in the utility trailers are very hard to find.  Good luck finding a Stevens Transport, J.R. Schugel, or ORIGINAL C.R. England trailer (as opposed to the later "England Intermodal" version), without having to pay big bucks on a certain auction site!  All three were very common to see on intermodal trains.

Date: 06/25/16 12:52

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> Jason, for modern trailers, well, Trainworx has
> done them in N scale and might be pursued to do
> them in HO like they did their drop frame trailer.
> I am trying to get them to do their Brown 40'
> trailer in HO and it may be a possibility. Just
> sayin....
> Cheers, Jim
>
> Posted from Android

Let's hope so!   I also inquired about them doing their 53' trailer in HO, and got a pretty stern "no."

Date: 06/25/16 12:56

bioyans Wrote:
> Athearn's decision to make foobies is a real head
> scratcher, considering some of the older names
> they did in the utility trailers are very hard to
> find.  Good luck finding a Stevens Transport,
> J.R. Schugel, or ORIGINAL C.R. England trailer (as
> opposed to the later "England Intermodal"
> version), without having to pay big bucks on a
> certain auction site!  All three were very common
> to see on intermodal trains.

Agreed.   Another run of the Stevens would have sold well.   They never  did do a Shugel in the past.    Would love to see one though.
What gets me so often in this forum is reading about how people are searching for and paying high for older runs.   Yet I have had all these things sit on my shelf at my store for years with no takers.    They eventually do sell.  But it's just crazy to hear the demand is there, and I have them sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

Jason 
Smith Brothers Hobby Center

Date: 06/25/16 14:22
Author: needles_sub

Part of the problem is many hobby shops don't have their stock listed on the internet. Many, myself included just don't have the time to call many hobby shops looking for a particular trailer. Mind you. I have done it,  but it's time consuming.  And,  many times the person your talking on the phone with is not knowledgeable about trains, trailers, etc. Many don't have the patience to answer questions on the phone and just tell you to come to the store. Not easy to do if the store isn't local.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/16 14:23 by needles_sub.

Date: 06/25/16 14:36
Author: SPDRGWfan

I agree with Needles, if items are not available to be searched and found on the internet,then how can people know about them. Products which are in demand can't  be accessed if hobbyists across the country and world can find them.  I know there are things I would likely buy if I could find them and the only way I can is web searches and Ebay etc.  For example, I found a couple of HO Athearn Fruehauf trailers from the last run that came in 2-packs on a hobby shop in NY State and ordered them both.  They had bee sold out for 3 or 4 years but they still happened to have them in; when I found them boom, sold.  Getting reach via the Internet is KEY to hooking customers up with products so any hobby shop without a web presence will be extremely limited what customers they can reach; mostly local and a few out of towners who drop by.

Cheers, Jim Fitch

Date: 06/26/16 12:57
Author: bioyans

I agree completely with the two posters above me.  In today's market, having UP TO DATE stock listed on the internet is a must!  If someone can find your store, and what hard-to-find items you might have just waiting for a buyer, that's the key to moving inventory!  I might not even know your store exists, but if I do a search for a particular item that you happen to have ... boom ... I just found a new supplier to buy from!

That's why many shops have turned to eBay to maintain an electronic storefront.  It gets their stock into a "one stop" search engine, without the expense of having to maintain their own web page.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0774 seconds