Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Model Railroading > The 2016 PC - CP221 Diamond Update

Date: 06/29/16 04:29
The 2016 PC - CP221 Diamond Update
Author: navarch2

I have completed replacing 4 of the 9 diamonds with Walthers Code 83 30 degree diamonds. Two more will arrive today, and the balance in July. All three on Track 2 are done, plus the last one west on Track 3. 

It took about an hour to cut and fit all 3 of the Track 2 diamonds. I test-ran it both slowly and at speed and the issue is gone now for that track.

Here is a picture and an updated video showing the  same cars as the earlier one passing over the new diamonds. with no issues. 

I apologize for the stuttering movement early in the video - that is a single GP38-2 pushing those cars and for a while it was running on some re-installed track from the old office layout which was dirty. It gets smoother as the video goes on.

These new diamonds will be wired with power to every piece of rail. It turns out that the dead spots with this angle of frog, are very badly located for 4 axle locomotives in particular....this may be why Roco Code 83 30 degree diamonds are not insulated, rail to rail.
http://www.eurorailhobbies.com/product.asp?mn=4&ca=55&sc=HO&stock=R-42498  It appears there is no short if you uase them in a crossover  but there would be one in a crossing of essentially a figure-8 type?. Roco were the first ones I looked at because I assumed with wide European wheels and deep flanges, they would not have this issue but the non-insulated crossing rails put me off...

Bob 

Bob

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/29/16 05:02
Re: The 2016 PC - CP221 Diamond Update
Author: pal77

Even though at more than double the cost, the Shinohara stuff really looks superior and clearly operates smoother.  Nice choice nice work.

Date: 06/29/16 08:55
Author: Dilworth

thats what i used on my layout works great

Date: 06/29/16 10:23
Author: boejoe

BIG difference.  I think I noticed a wider gap in the rails from overhead photos as well.

Date: 06/29/16 10:44
Author: tomstp

The real test is push them at a pretty good speed.

Date: 06/29/16 13:51

tomstp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The real test is push them at a pretty good speed.

I'll do that tonight and post the video :)

Bob

Date: 06/29/16 18:15
Author: SandingValve

navarch2 Wrote:
> Roco were the first ones I looked
> at because I assumed with wide European wheels and
> deep flanges, they would not have this issue but
> the non-insulated crossing rails put me off...
> Bob 

Nothing wrong with all metal frogs in a crossing, however, things can get 'fiddlely' electrically with DCC and would require some additional electrical hardware to ensure the proper polarity through the trackwork. The more complicated the trackwork is and how many trains are intended to occupy the interlocking plant, the more 'fiddlely' the electrical becomes.

At any rate...Excellent track work and a good easy solution was found.
SV

Date: 06/30/16 05:09

pal77 Wrote:
> Even though at more than double the cost, the
> Shinohara stuff really looks superior and clearly
> operates smoother.  Nice choice nice work.

Thank you :)  Once I get the crossing route trackage in and the other diamonds replaced, I will tweak/realign the entire complex to  get the best possible result. Thanks to all who offered solutions.

Bob

Date: 07/01/16 06:10

So it turns out that the shallow crossings from Atlas are a known problem....shame on me for not doing the due diligence first :(

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/11/t/199372.aspx

Life....goes on :)  Anyone need 9 code 83 30 degree diamonds that do not work well with trains on them? lol

Bob 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0578 seconds