Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Model Railroading > Homabed

Date: 06/30/16 05:44
Homabed
Author: jburek

There was a company years ago that produced Homosote ready to be installed on your railroad in different thicknesses I believe - I think it was called Homabed.  Anyone know if this company is still in business?  Thanks.

Date: 06/30/16 07:02
Re: Homabed
Author: Larry020

Date: 06/30/16 07:17
Author: brfriedm

Dear ?,

California roadbed is the company and they are out of business. Another company is now making the product and they can be found here.  Good luck.

http://cascaderailsupply.com/

Bruce

jburek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was a company years ago that produced
> Homosote ready to be installed on your railroad in
> different thicknesses I believe - I think it was
> called Homabed.  Anyone know if this company is
> still in business?  Thanks.

Date: 06/30/16 07:48
Author: fbe

I recently talked with Cascade Rail Supply. They are up an running.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/30/16 08:53
Author: Frank30

For what its worth, a little bit of history on Homabed:  It was originally made by BO Manufacturing,  located in upstate New York, Planet Earth, as the owner Bill Oehler
had on his stationery and price lists, etc.  More than likely this stuff was made in a back yard shed with no exhaust system. The man was very accomodating and the product
was excellent to work with.  I used it when I started building my layout in the late 70s.  Holds spikes better than cork, easier to work with than wood and after 40 years still
looks fine.  I also sold this product at train shows even though it was an awkward size to transport and display.  He changed the specs on occasion  so I had to stock two
varieties, what I was going to complete my own railroad with and that which customers new to the product would get.  Bill was handicapped and eventually could not keep up
with the business, his son took over, but that did'nt last long.   My feeling was that this was something that a retired guy could produce, with little or no overhead and supplement
social security.   The company closed, but somebody on the West Coast, before California Roadbed, rented a large space with a lot of expensive equipment to produce this
product.  He was'nt even interested in wholesaling it.  If it ever got off the ground, it did''nt last long.  To ship this product clear across the country would have doubled its cost.
This product, ideally, should be make in mid-America to keep shipping costs reasonable. Its like shipping a box of bricks-deadweight!!  It looks like California Roadbed  (who
brought his product to the Amherst Show in West Springfield, MA for a few years, but you could never find him at his booth to talk to him) and Cascade are both West Coast
establishments and are going to find a problem with the cost of shipping this stuff. I wish them luck, it is a good product. It has to be price competive to be successful.
And as Cronkite used to say: "And that's the way it was!"
Frank 30 (Boston)

Date: 06/30/16 09:44
Author: Westbound

This product, especially with its slotted sides for curves, is excellent. I had a few old pieces without the cuts, so had to use a hacksaw and vise to make it curveable - what a process! On a few industry tracks or siding I used either cork roadbed or the foam plastic stuff, and they are simply not as good.

Date: 06/30/16 12:40
Author: Bscale316

Have ordered from Cascade. Shipped quickly, kept me informed.
I prefer this to cork, etc. But you can't curve it as tight, if that's what you need.
Bill in Ft Worth

Date: 06/30/16 14:03
Author: Alexmarissa

How do the sections with slotted sides create a curve?  Do you have to cut and remove pieces? 

Date: 06/30/16 16:12
Author: wabash2800

No. They are just cuts in the side that allow the piece to curve.

​Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Alexmarissa Wrote:
> How do the sections with slotted sides create a
> curve?  Do you have to cut and remove pieces? 

Date: 06/30/16 16:15
Author: wabash2800

Personally, when I run out, I'm going back to cork. I don't handlay track and don't see any benefit with the Homabed. It is not quieter than cork. The piece that I like the best is the ramp. They have two thicknessess available and with the ramp, when you want to make a transition from a higher to a lower track, you just cut it where you need it.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/16 18:52 by wabash2800.

Date: 06/30/16 16:33
Author: Larry020

Alexmarissa Wrote:
> How do the sections with slotted sides create a
> curve?  Do you have to cut and remove pieces? 

Hopefully a a picture is worth a thousand words.

http://cascaderailsupply.com/collections/ho-scale-30-degree-beveled-roadbed

Larry

Date: 07/05/16 05:38
Author: SandingValve

I have used both firm's products. I first used the original Homabed on an old HO layout long ago and loved it. I also bought some Homabed later during the transition to Bill's son and never had an issue. Fast forward to earlier this year...When I was looking at roadbed I priced California Roadbed vs Cascade's products. Ultimately Cascade won out due to their edge bevel optons. My new layout in On30 with Cascade's product on top of 1" foamboard and Woodland Scenics foam risers. No complaints.

SV

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0772 seconds