Home Open Account Help 282 users online

Model Railroading > Let's build a SW1001

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 06/30/16 19:09
Let's build a SW1001
Author: trainworm

Yeah, i have no idea what i was smoking when i decided to build a SW1001.  this is much more involved that i had anticipated.  So, I'll build a good enough model for now.

I started off with an Athearn SW1000 and a P2K SW1200 and a Cannon cab kit.  The walkway and steps are all wrong on both models for the Galveston Wharves unit i am trying to model so I am just going to go with the Athearn steps.  They seem to be the closest.  

So far, I've started modifying the cab sides and roof to add just over a foot of additional length.  Then i had to remove the ratchet brake from the Athearn shell.  Next i have to modify the steps and sub base on the Athearn shell.  Once i get the cab built and the heigth figured out I can get the angled part of the hood by the window cut to the correct angle.

Some of the hood doors and the vents won't match up perfectly, but it'll be pretty close.

Once i finish all that, I'll figure out how to add the fuel tanks from the P2K model and get all the other details on.

One thing that is going to really be difficult are those little bulges at the base of the sand boxes.  Guess I'll have to hand carve something.

Any tips or hints or critiques are welcome

Date: 06/30/16 19:30
Re: Let's build a SW1001
Author: HB90MACH

We all know the kitbasher rule. Once, you finish it, a manufacture will produce it.

Date: 06/30/16 19:42
Author: SP4436

Someone did a Long Island SW1001 in the mid 90's that was featured in RMC.  Maybe that article could help you.
Looking forward to seeing your progress, please keep sharing!

Date: 06/30/16 23:01

Got the handbrake hole filled and the new battery box doors.

Got the rear of the cab sub base redone.  Still needs to be trimmed to fit.

And the cab is almost ready to go.  Next i have to get that hood angle right.

Date: 06/30/16 23:48

Got the angle better, now i just have to fill in the holes.

And the back just needs some filler and it's done.  

Date: 07/01/16 00:09

Much better

Date: 07/01/16 06:33
Author: hotmetal-train

I did the same as you , I finally attepted to build a SW1001.Its a very very very tuff one to build if you want even a 90% correct unit. everything is a redo.
This was an interesting project and i learned not to do it again LOL

Date: 07/01/16 06:34

just a few more

Date: 07/01/16 06:55

now if you can find the islandshore resin unit it is ok. (the hole grail at this point)

Date: 07/01/16 07:27
Author: navarch2

This is not an easy build....you'd think Athearn would produce this - they have most of the parts to do so. New short hood and cab but how daunting can that be in CAD given they already have 3D modeled the SW1000. 

But not to worry.....i know from experience that someone will make it when you are close to finishing yours :)

Good steel mill unit.....

Bob

Date: 07/01/16 09:51

hotmetal-train Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> now if you can find the islandshore resin unit it
> is ok. (the hole grail at this point)

I was bidding on the last one that showed up on that auction page.  I gave up bidding when it went over 75.  Not sure where it ended up.  

Date: 07/01/16 17:49
Author: 1019X

There is more to it than body parts. The SW-1001 rides lower on the truck than an SW-1000. If you happen to have the Morning Sun Books, "Steel Mill Railroads in Color, Vol 6", there is a photo on pages 96-97 of two Birmingham Southern SW-1001s MUed with two SW-1000s and if you look at the running boards, the SW-1001 sets about 8" to 12" lower than the SW-1000, even though both models ride on the same trucks. If you look on the Eastern Board on Trainorders from yesterday there is a thread on the Juniata Terminal MP-15. There are photos of it being towed by a CSX (ex Reading) SW-1001, you can see the height difference as well. The reason being that EMD intended the SW-1001 to primarly be an industrial unit and thus designed to meet lower clearances.
Charlie

Date: 07/01/16 20:14

1019X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is more to it than body parts. The SW-1001
> rides lower on the truck than an SW-1000. If you
> happen to have the Morning Sun Books, "Steel Mill
> Railroads in Color, Vol 6", there is a photo on
> pages 96-97 of two Birmingham Southern SW-1001s
> MUed with two SW-1000s and if you look at the
> running boards, the SW-1001 sets about 8" to 12"
> lower than the SW-1000, even though both models
> ride on the same trucks. If you look on the
> Eastern Board on Trainorders from yesterday there
> is a thread on the Juniata Terminal MP-15. There
> are photos of it being towed by a CSX (ex Reading)
> SW-1001, you can see the height difference as
> well. The reason being that EMD intended the
> SW-1001 to primarly be an industrial unit and thus
> designed to meet lower clearances.
> Charlie

Yep, i know. I had planned to put the shell on the P2K chassis so it'll ride lower but no dice without a hell of a lot of chopping, grinding and milling to get it to fit.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/02/16 02:51

Anyone know what kind of air horn that is? I see several 2 chime horns but none of them look right.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/02/16 03:46

Slowly moving along.  The more i look at it, the more i want to lower the ride heigth.  But I'll just ruin this thing trying to do it.  

Date: 07/02/16 10:52

your unit is looking real good. i ended up grinding my athern frame to sit inside the shell rather than on top, and yes alot of grinding.

Date: 07/03/16 01:40

The more I think about it the more I realize that I've gone too far to stop now. This weekend, out come the knives and the pilots get lopped off and the frame meets the grinder.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/03/16 05:11

That looks better.  Now i just have to shave the frame and order some new steps.

Date: 07/07/16 21:45

After a ton of grinding and cussing and grinding some more, i finally got the frame modified so the shell sits at the proper heigth.  Also got the steps added.  Damnit, some of them are a tiny bit crooked.  Oh well.  

Date: 07/08/16 03:48

Just got this email from island model works...

Hello Alex,
   We do have plans for an updated SW1001 in the future that would be more detailed. At this time, there are several projects ahead of them, so it will be some time before they are released. Thank you for the inquiry.
Joe
Island Modelworks LLC

Guess i had better get back to figuring out how in the heck to make those sand boxes.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.063 seconds