Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Model Railroading > And now for something just a little bit different

Date: 07/18/16 21:19
And now for something just a little bit different
Author: Larry020

If anyone is interested, I'll get some more information. 

This is a programable "scrolling marquee" with blue letters.  It has a built in battery.  The letters are about one inch high (~1/39th of a meter).  I think it will display around ten letters at a time.  It is attached to a 750ml bottle of vodka from Holland. 

I'm quite certain some very interesting brainstorming will come forth while you and your friends empty the bottle. 

Larry

Date: 07/18/16 21:23
Re: And now for something just a little bit different
Author: boejoe

"Light up a room", "Light up your life"

Date: 07/19/16 04:28
Author: hogheaded

Beyond being an effective drain cleaner, I note that Media Vodka also has Bluetooth connectivity so that you can display its message on an iPhone (I am not making this up!).

This would have been a big seller amongst railroad employees in the days before random alcohol & drug testing.

While blue LED's are too modern for application on my model railroad, the label has distinct possibilities as a name tag. Next time my sewer connection plugs up, I'll buy a bottle.

EO
whiskey drinker

Date: 07/19/16 09:49
Author: wjpyper

I'm interested. Might be useable for theater marque on O-gauge layouts.
Bill Pyper
SAlem, OR

Date: 07/19/16 10:29

Here's a better photo.  They're all scrolling various messages.  I'll try to get any technical information that may be available, and post it tonight.

Larry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/16 10:33 by Larry020.

Date: 07/19/16 22:41

The vodka bottle has a programable digital display that is about 3/4" from top LED to bottom LED, and about 3 1-2 inches across.  There are six preprogrammed messages, and up to four that are user programable.  

Just like a scrolling marquee, it has a matrix of five LEDs high by twenty four LEDs across.  A programable message is limited to 255 characters.  You can manually program it, or download a free app on your iPhone or android and program it via Bluetooth.  

Of course the question would be, why?  Who would you buy such a thing?  

The 750ml bottle was $21.89 with tax.  I searched for medea vodka, and the app downloaded very quickly. 

I'm sure if it can be peeled off the bottle, and substitute the power supply with something replaceable, then you'll have something to toy around with...  

ŁmLarry  

Date: 07/21/16 04:48
Author: hogheaded

Found them at the San Jose, CA Costco yesterday - marked down to $19.99.

Happy model railroading!

EO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0578 seconds