Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Model Railroading > Time to take another look at those old building kits.

Date: 07/24/16 03:27
Time to take another look at those old building kits.
Author: funnelfan

Bill Sturgeon shared some pics of his creations on another model railroad forum, and I got permission to share them here. I was rather impressed how by taking some old long dismissed building kits from the likes of Tyco, Bachmann, and Life-Like, you can make some really fantastic models out of them. The key here is printing out new signs on a home printer and adding them to the model. I've done similar projects in the past, but not to this degree.

1. A Tyco Exxon gas station turned into a Gulf Station. All the signs are really the key here. Really even basic stuff like the MEN, WOMEN signs on the bathroom doors goes a long way.  Bet this will bring back a lot of memories to those who were driving before 1990.

2. Who'd guess this Pep Boy store is really a Bachmann Auto Dealership. Seems like such a natural fit as a older auto parts store. Again, the plethora of signs are key. You can easily download them images from the internet and scale to size.

3. Some of you might know that the Life-Like Ace Supermarket kit was actually a early 7-11 store. By replacing the roof banner, you can somewhat modernize the store suitable for the 1980's and later. Don't forget the Big Gulp and Slurpee ads.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 07/24/16 06:08
Re: Time to take another look at those old building kits.
Author: march_hare

Yup. Brings back memories of b*thching a blue streak about gas going over a dollar per gallon. What an outrage!

Sure glad I was driving a VW beetle in those days. 

Date: 07/24/16 07:54
Author: blackmetal2002

i wish all the manufacturors would bring those kits back!!!! like the old tyco burger king and pizza hut....those building styles are still around. some of them were kinda hokey and looked a bit dinky,but some of them were really good representations of businesses in basically every town in america. maybe walthers owning lifelike,could bring back the old kits from the 70's and 80's that were not for the experienced craftsman,and give us some better,more realistic businesses for the road by the tracks in smalltown usa!!!!

Date: 07/24/16 08:10
Author: ChrisCampi

Great stuff. Love the 69 Mustang also.

Date: 07/24/16 11:02
Author: PHall

In California Armed Robbery comes under Section 211 of the California Penal Code.
Due to the number of times they were robbed, most cops referred to 7-11 stores as 211 Stores.

Date: 07/24/16 18:17
Author: jcrun0mp7

Bring back those kits of old but at today's prices?

Date: 07/25/16 00:09
Author: Stottman

jcrun0mp7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bring back those kits of old but at today's
> prices?

The 7-11 is still out there, for about $15. 

Date: 07/25/16 06:36
Author: binder001

There are a LOT of older building kits out there that were quite well done.  I have always had an affection for the "ancient" Revell HO buildings (later remolded and sold under the labels of AHM and Con-Cor).  Tyco tried very hard to produce a number of nice kits also.  Just because a building is an older kit doesn't mean that it can't be built up to current standards with a little TLC.

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 07/25/16 10:06
Author: Setandcentered

Looks good!

Dave

Posted from Android

Date: 07/25/16 11:18
Author: SP4360

Picked up a few of the old Suydam kits not too long ago on Ebay.

Date: 07/26/16 05:53
Author: rrman6

Ted, you've done remarkable work with these old structures.  As is said, many exist elements of these older stations remanin yet across the country only in somewhat other faces, thus leaving much to the modeler's handling.  As for the #1 Tyco Exxon, maybe this is why it retired.  My mind can't imagine how the poor station attendant could drive a typical car into that service rack for an oil change without wiping out the pumps on the fuel island.  Ha!!  
Back in the mid-50's I worked in a Mobil station during my school summer vacations and glad we had more room than this.  Anyway, great job here!!

Date: 07/26/16 15:13
Author: funnelfan

rrman6 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ted, you've done remarkable work with these old
> structures....

Just to clarifiy, these models are the work of Bill Sturgeon. I'm sharing them with permission becuase I find them inspirational.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds