Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Model Railroading > Digitrax BDL168 LED Question

Date: 07/25/16 05:21
Digitrax BDL168 LED Question
Author: Trainatic

Hello all,

I'm getting ready to set up a block detection system and control panel using a Digitrax BDL168. In the manual for the 168, it sounds like I won't need any resistors for my LED display. I'm using 2v 20mA LEDs for my display lights on my panel. Do I actually need to get resistors? And if so, how do I determine what size? 
Here's what the BDL168 manual says:
"The BDL168 incorporates current setting resistors to set the LED current typically about 3mA. If you use higher LED drive currents you can use external transistors etc to amplify the LED current.
The LED drive from the BDL168 is active high at about +5 volts above the BDL168 ground pin, via a 1 Kohm resistor. Note that the ribbon cable includes separate ground return conductors for each LED that allow a 10 conductor ribbon cable to be split into 5 pairs to conveniently route to individual LEDS. Be sure to connect the +ve active output leads to the LED anodes.
"

Thanks in advance for your help!
  -Caleb

Date: 07/25/16 07:04
Re: Digitrax BDL168 LED Question
Author: brfriedm

Caleb,

Join the Digitrax Yahoo group. Over 10,000 folks with all the answers you will ever need! LOL

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Digitrax/info

Bruce

Date: 07/25/16 14:42
Author: bnsfbuff

No resistors are needed.  I've wired LEDs for hidden track detection directly from the 10-pin connector/wire without any problems.

John Parker
Longmont, CO
BNSF Fall River Division

Date: 07/25/16 16:19
Author: Trainatic

Thanks for the info, both of you!! Much appreciated!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0377 seconds