Home Open Account Help 357 users online

Model Railroading > WP dark green

Date: 08/22/16 11:29
WP dark green
Author: Chestnut

Hello,
I'm attempting to paint a WP U23B. I used Badger "Western Pacific green 16-192" and it seems way too light. The paint went on very nice and I really don't want to strip it. Is there another Badger paint that will work? I don't like using Tru-Color due to having to use acetone to thin and clean after I'm done. Thanks for any advice,
Matt

Date: 08/22/16 13:13
Re: WP dark green
Author: WP282

Matt;

I've used TruColor and it is an excellent match for WP green. I don't know of any other paint out there that comes close. At little experimenting might be in order if you aren't willing to use it.

Mike

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/22/16 14:49

If I use Tru Color do you think it will be an issue if I already painted the shell with Badger Model Flex? The cost of paint is light and the green is light too so I can't imagine that be an issue as far as covering. I do have concerns with the compatibility with acrylic paint though. Thank you for the kind advice. I plan on using Tru Color thinned down with their thinner. I'll use regular acetone for air brush clean up. I read older posts it looks like using their thinner shooting at 30 psi for best results.
Matt

Date: 08/23/16 05:19
Author: rschonfelder

Many advocate that Tru-color and its' predecessor, Accu-Paint, needed to be alone.  I do not know if you'll have any problem with the overcoat but you can only try.

Rick

Date: 08/23/16 06:19
Author: hogheaded

I would note that, if you are going to model one of WP's initial repaints, first you will have to paint the unit orange (with silver, depending), then liberally apply salt or Vaseline - or whatever you use for peely paint effects - before you slather on the green. During the early Perlman years, WP looked like it was suffering from psoriasis.

EO
Hopefully you're not modeling WP because you thought it was easier than having to deal with SP's ample assortment of lights and gizmos.

Date: 08/23/16 06:33

Hoghead,
I've actually used that salt technique for modeling aircraft for paint peeling simulated around the leading edges of cowling. I'll try shooting over the Badger paint and I will update you guys on what happens. Scalecoat "Wash Away" is great stuff....
Matt

Date: 08/23/16 09:35
Author: hogheaded

Chestnut Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hoghead,
> I've actually used that salt technique for
> modeling aircraft for paint peeling simulated
> around the leading edges of cowling. I'll try
> shooting over the Badger paint and I will update
> you guys on what happens. Scalecoat "Wash Away" is
> great stuff....
> Matt

I would like to see that. I've never seen anyone do this to a WP unit, even though it was so common in 1971-72. On a few units it was so bad that they more accurately could be described as being in the green/orange/silver scheme. It begs to be modeled. I'd do it, except that I save my salt for SP locos.

EO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds