Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Model Railroading > Upgrading old rolling stock question (couplers)

Date: 08/26/16 18:26
Upgrading old rolling stock question (couplers)
Author: JLW2K

I want to upgrade the horn hook couplers on these old passenger cars to regular knuckle versions.  Are there any Kadees that I can swap this with?  Or do I need to body mount, and if so what should I use then?

For reference these are Lionel Freedom Train cars.

Thanks,
James

Date: 08/26/16 18:56
Re: Upgrading old rolling stock question (couplers)
Author: wjpyper

Kadee has a large variety of couplers available in O-scale. I suggest that you go to www.kadee.com and see for yourself.

Date: 08/26/16 19:21
Author: MrMRL

Those horn hooks appear to indicate that these are HO scale models. Are you against just hacking off the talgos and body mounting Kadees of your choice? Or are tight radii a factor?

Digging a little deeper and perhaps with a little work, Kadee #508 conversion kits wound probably work if you wanted to keep the talgo method. They are intended for Rivarossi 4-axle passenger cars, but could probably be glued to the Lionel trucks.

http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page508.htm

For a body mounted option, look into the Kadee #451 with extra lateral swing available. You'd probably have shave off the under body rib work along the ends to give the extended box room to swing. Or add a super thin styrene plate between the car underside and the coupler box.

http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page451.htm

Mr. MRL

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/16 19:34 by MrMRL.

Date: 08/27/16 04:31
Author: calsubd

I would replace truck and coupler at the same time while your at it JMHO

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 08/27/16 08:51
Author: RailThunder

Those are nice Lionel American Freedom Train passenger cars.  With the Walthers trucks they should work fine.  You'll need 41-N11s.  Also, I would body mount the couplers.  The trucks will make the cars look a LOT better and you'll be pleased with Kadees body mounted.  Have fun!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.031 seconds