Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn Turbine Weight

Date: 08/29/16 08:50
Athearn Turbine Weight
Author: BAB

Ran my Turbine with about ten freight cars on the club layout about a week ago.  Spun out on the grade is there anyone out there which has added weight to them and if so how?  The other solutin is to add units like UP did and I plan on it as have three SDs and four GPs but have not speed matched them yet.

Date: 08/29/16 09:38
Re: Athearn Turbine Weight
Author: grahamline

What sort of grade did you encounter.  We have run an Athearn verandah turbine paired with a Genesis GP9 on grades of about 1.8% and plenty of curvature, pulling 25 cars.

Date: 08/29/16 11:01
Author: wnehoc

Your problem is that only 8 of 16 wheels are powered. I used Bullfrog Snot on wheels of 2 outermost powered axles and now it pulls like a champ. Those unpowered wheels do pick up track power though, so you won't have pickup problems.

Date: 08/30/16 03:46
Author: acltrainman

I have the Veranda and regular turbines and no problem with trains on our club layout with a 70 foot long 2% grade. You might have some bad cars or a problem with your turbine. All my cars have metal wheels and roll very good.

Stanley Jackowski
Valrico, FL

Date: 08/30/16 07:41

Thanks knew that but still with eight should have pulled more or at least I thought. Put my finger on it didnt take too much and it pulled fine but have not been inside to see if there is room for weight.
-------------------------------------------------------
> Your problem is that only 8 of 16 wheels are
> powered. I used Bullfrog Snot on wheels of 2
> outermost powered axles and now it pulls like a
> champ. Those unpowered wheels do pick up track
> power though, so you won't have pickup problems.

Date: 08/30/16 07:43

I dont know what the grade is also on a curve but with a booster, have two am going to add but have not speed matched them yet, should be no problem thanks for the info.
> What sort of grade did you encounter.  We have
> run an Athearn verandah turbine paired with a
> Genesis GP9 on grades of about 1.8% and plenty of
> curvature, pulling 25 cars.

Date: 08/30/16 07:45

Dont know about my standard as its out for DCC right now but mine is an Athearn have heard that the other one is cast metal and pulls great. These are club cars with metal wheels and well taken care of thanks for the heads up.
> I have the Veranda and regular turbines and no
> problem with trains on our club layout with a 70
> foot long 2% grade. You might have some bad cars
> or a problem with your turbine. All my cars have
> metal wheels and roll very good.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0582 seconds