Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Model Railroading > Magnifying tools?

Date: 09/21/16 16:11
Magnifying tools?
Author: ghemr

Would anyone like to recommend the various tools such as magnifying glasses or goggles they use? Indeed, my eyes aren't what they used to be----it's a part of getting old I guess. Therefore, what do you use besides prescription glasses for those tiny details, decals, etc. that one can barely see?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/16 16:34 by CSX_ENG.

Date: 09/21/16 16:57
Re: Magnifying tools?
Author: wingomann

I use a swing arm magnifier mounted on my workbench.  What glasses I wear also makes a difference.  My stronger reading glasses help.
I've kicked around getting the Optivisor but am unsure which one would be best due to the focal lengths being different at different magnifictions.  One said it had a 8"  focal length.  That sounded like I would have to crouch over if working on my workbench if trying to keep my hands free.

Date: 09/21/16 17:53
Author: icancmp193

I've used an Optivisor for years. It is a 4 (2x magnification). Somedays it just doesn't seem like enough.
I do mostly HO Scale vehicle models.

Tom Y

Date: 09/21/16 22:55
Author: funnelfan

I'm near sighted, so I just take my glasses off.  ;^D

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 09/22/16 02:42
Author: SPDRGWfan

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm near sighted, so I just take my glasses off. 
> ;^D

I was too for years, but at some point taking glasses off won't work anymore; you'll see!  ;^)

Date: 09/22/16 04:46
Author: Larry020

Free Magnifier App on my iPhone 6 plus.  1.00 to 5.00 times magnification adjustable.  With or without LED light on, adjustable from 10% to 100% brightness.  I can also take a picture with it, and text or email it.  It takes better close up photos than the iPhone's built in camera program.  I saw a tripod at Beast Buy that could help in the modeling and photography departments.  

Larry

Date: 09/22/16 06:01
Author: herronpeter

Larry, that's a great idea.  I looked and there are about a thousand apps!!  Which one did you use?
Thanks,

Peter

Date: 09/22/16 07:13

Peter

i have to leave for work now.  All I can tell you is the icon looks like this;

Larry 

Date: 09/22/16 08:12
Author: binder001

As I have aged my needs have changed.  At first I only needed an Optivisor for specific detailing projects, not it's almost mandatory for everything.  Currently I have been using a lighted version with an additional lens that can flip down when required.  An advantage of the Optivisor type light is that the magnifier is "hands free" and moves as you do.  The bad news is that it can get hot under the plastic band around your head (one can make cloth wraps to reduce this),.  One also needs to get used to the reduced depth of field from the magnifier lens.  I also use a magnifier lens mounted on a desk lamp - good for many applications, but not mobile.  I did download a magnifier app to my cell phone - not practical for bench modeling, but useful at train shows or to note model details in the hobby shop.  

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Date: 09/22/16 09:25
Author: Bscale316

Using my Optivisor, I can also slip on a pair of drugstore reading glasses under it, for a little bit more magnification when needed.
Bill in Ft Worth

Date: 09/22/16 11:40
Author: mkerner

I have a magnifier that resembles a desk light. Got it with safety points at work, but I have seen it on that auction place for $35
Michael T Kerner
Collinsville, IL

Posted from Android

Date: 09/22/16 12:52

herronpeter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Larry, that's a great idea.  I looked and there
> are about a thousand apps!!  Which one did you
> use?
> Thanks,
>
> Peter

Peter

I looked again in order to remember the process.  In the search box I typed magn, it suggested magnify glass.  The first ap is the one I use.

Larry

Date: 09/22/16 15:31
Author: ghemr

Everyone has been a great deal of help which I appreciate very much!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/16 10:55 by CSX_ENG.

Date: 09/23/16 05:49
Author: herronpeter

Thanks, Larry, I found it.  I got another one before reading your reply and it works well but the pictures do not go in your photos folder so they cannot be sent anywhere. 

I mainly use this feature to send magnified pictures to vendors when looking for parts, mainly gear train items.  Very handy.

Thanks,

Peter

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0644 seconds