Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Model Railroading > LED Light Question

Date: 09/22/16 07:55
LED Light Question
Author: icancmp193

I am constructing a model of a Kibri loader that has an LED light on the cab with connecting wires. If I wanted to test that light, just to be sure it works, what would I connect those wires to? DC? AC? Something else?
No instructions provided by the manufacturer.

Tom Y

Date: 09/22/16 08:18
Re: LED Light Question
Author: fbe

Not over 3v of DC. If it doesn't light at first reverse the polarity of the power.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/22/16 09:45
Author: Bscale316

Quick and dirty LED tester: 9V battery with 1K resistor in one of the leads.
I test after each step to be sure LED doesn't get damaged when soldering.
Bill in Ft Worth

Date: 09/22/16 10:17
Author: icancmp193

The Kibri LED leads look to have a resistor built into the wire.

Tom Y

Date: 09/22/16 21:57
Author: chakk

icancmp193 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Kibri LED leads look to have a resistor built
> into the wire.
>
> Tom Y

Won't hurt to add the extra 1000 ohm resistor to the circuit.   It would just make the LED shine a bit dimmer.   If no light with the extra resistor, then try it with 3 Volts of DC as mentioned earlier.   If no light with wires connected one way, then try with the wires reversed, since LEDs only work with current flowing in one direction.

Date: 09/27/16 01:02
Author: engineerfred

what size resistor does it take to wire led for headlights using a digitrax 126 decoder

Date: 09/28/16 22:08
Author: chakk

Depends on the voltage delivered by the digitrax. If I assume for the moment that the digitrax delivers 14 volts, then 1000 x 14 / 12 = 1170 ohms, or thereabouts, should do fine. If the light from the LED then shines brighter than you like, then increase the resistance a bit to, say, 1500 ohms.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0416 seconds