Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Model Railroading > SD90 help

Date: 09/24/16 17:28
SD90 help
Author: Hookdragkick

I'm currently buying parts to church-up an RRP SD90Mac-H body and Overland drive. What size channel-stock would I need in order to replicate the frame sides of the engine? Also, does anyone know the diameter of the air reserviors? They look bigger than normal.

Thx, HDK

Posted from Android

Date: 09/24/16 18:48
Re: SD90 help
Author: bnsf70mac

I ordered the sill frames from Kato sd90 and they work great.

Mike

Date: 09/24/16 20:11

That's a great idea, Mike. 
Thx

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/16 20:15 by Hookdragkick.

Date: 09/27/16 17:44

How about those reserviors? Anybody?

Posted from Android

Date: 09/27/16 21:17
Author: bogieman

I'm reasonably sure the reservoirs are 20" diameter. The underframe depth is 24" behind the cab.

One of the design requirements for the SD80MAC and 90MAC was to put the piping on one side of the underframe and the power and control cables on the other to improve manufacturing efficiency, so that pipefitters and electricians weren't in each other's way during the bottom equipping. I was the Systems Engineer and did the original layouts of this model family in 1993. The underframe is an inverted fishbelly at the cab end so that the SD70M isolated cab could be used and the loco still meet the clearance requirements. The deep underframe (compared to the 70-series) was needed because of the loco length combined with the bottom plate raised to clear the 45" wheels. The length was mostly driven by the need for 6,000 gallon fuel capacity which also allowed room for the separate Siemens AC traction control cabinet behind the cab rather than the two separate inverter cabinets as squeezed into the SD60/70MAC.

Dave

Date: 09/27/16 21:30
Author: TheApostleGreen

I grabbed a scale drawing off Michael Eby's Trainiax site, and pasted the image into Visio.  I scaled it per data from TheDieselShop.
Using the truck wheelbase (13'9") and overall length (80'2") as reference dimensions, I measured the diameter of the reservoir and got 14 inches.
I've found Eby's drawings to be accurate in the past for all my modeling purposes, so I hope this is helpful.  (But note that I don't consider myself a contest-quality modeler.)

~Joe P.
Hainesville, IL

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/16 21:33 by TheApostleGreen.

Date: 09/27/16 23:55

Dave and Joe, thanks a lot.

I wish I could get eyes-on on one, but getting one of these motors' to pass through the BNSF Southwest Transcon is like waiting for Waldo to fly by on a unicorn.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.038 seconds