Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Model Railroading > My Frisco Roster-a piece at a time

Date: 09/25/16 07:28
My Frisco Roster-a piece at a time
Author: Frisco1522

The last of my 1500s, the 1522.  I found this on ebay in deplorable condition, buchered and painted with a 3" brush (or so it looked).  The running gear was in great shape and after stripping all the goop off, the decision was made to do a teardown and a super "build".  Totally stripped the boiler, replaced the domes with castings we had made years ago, air reservoirs lowered to nest in the "jacketing" and the cab removed.  Full cab interior, lots of additional detail a nice can motor on a torque arm to a KTM idler gearbox.  The Scullin main was a Bowser.  Their axle size is .125 instead of 3MM.  One driver had to come off anywhere for the axle gear, so the axle was "worried down" .006 in a lathe, square bearings replaced the round ones Bowser had on it, knurled for the new KTM gear and requartered.  Counterweights were made and installed and that finished the running gear except for an operating rod for the lubricator.  Later on when I got into DCC, a Tsunami was installed.
This turned into more of an effort that I would have thought, but it was worth it.  I wanted to make a tribute to the engine I had been up close and personal with for 18 years.

Date: 09/25/16 07:31
Re: My Frisco Roster-a piece at a time
Author: Frisco1522

Three more from the files.

Date: 09/25/16 15:57
Author: lynnpowell

WOW!  What a fantastic rebuild job!!!   You model rebuild rates right up there with the rebuild job you performed on the prototype!!!

Date: 09/25/16 17:44
Author: warrenpweiss

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... I wanted to
> make a tribute to the engine I had been up close
> and personal with for 18 years.

... and what an outstanding job you did!

Date: 09/25/16 19:21
Author: sphauler

Absolutely gorgeous model!  Your skills are overwhelming.

sphauler

Date: 09/26/16 07:56
Author: RGDave

I am enjoying this series very much!

~RGDave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0347 seconds