Home Open Account Help 388 users online

Model Railroading > Adding Ditch Lights to a P2K SD60M

Date: 09/25/16 10:17
Adding Ditch Lights to a P2K SD60M
Author: BNModeler

Anyone done it?
Hints?? Picturers?? Advise??
I should add that I want them to be working ditch lights.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/16 10:20 by BNModeler.

Date: 09/25/16 15:09
Re: Adding Ditch Lights to a P2K SD60M
Author: iaisfan

See my post yesterday for what I think should be helpful information.  The Ebay seller from whom I purchased my LEDs has YouTube videos walking you through the process.  Details are in the earlier thread, and several kind folks here offered great tips as well.

Joe Atkinson
Council Bluffs, IA
www.iaisrailfans.org/../Sub4WestEnd

Date: 09/25/16 15:26
Re: Adding Ditch Lights to a P2K SD60M
Author: pmack

I used the castings from Details West on the SD60M I posted here:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,4127351
I filed the back of it until it was very thin C shape that fit over a 32k (color temp) 2x3mm surface mount LED I got from Digikey. I used magnet wire to wire it up.   I glued the LED into the casting and since the back didn't fit any more, painted over it until the light didn't shine out the back.  I used a NCE D13SR decoder so put 680 ohm resistors inside the shell.  The lights are very bright so even a 1k or 1.5k would probably be ok.  I used the 2x3 mm for the ditchlights because I'd used a pair of the same LEDs for the headlights.  That way everything is the same color and brightness.

On other locos I've used smaller LEDs and fit them inside the castings.  Be sure to give a heavy coat of paint to the inside so it doesn't short out on metal castings.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0345 seconds