Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Model Railroading > Oregon Short Line two bay hoppers

Date: 10/15/16 20:39
Oregon Short Line two bay hoppers
Author: fbe

The Colorado Railroad museum Annual #15 covering Montana railroads has a photo of Lima, MT which shows a cut of coal loads likely for coaling towers, local heating and commercial use. A trio of these cars are similar in size to the 55 ton USRA open top hoppers though the 8 panels with 9 ribs where the USRAs were 6 panels with 7 ribs.

The lettering in the photo is plainly Oregon Short Line high on the car side.

Are the 8 panel hoppers Walthers made close to these OSL cars and are they still available? Are decals for the OSL lettering available or lettering for the UP repaints?

Thanks.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/16/16 11:25
Re: Oregon Short Line two bay hoppers
Author: CPR_4000

If you're thinking of the former Train Miniature twin hopper, no. IIRC those were based on a Pullman-Standard design of the 1950's.

Date: 10/16/16 11:33

Thanks. I was hoping I would not need to start with a USRA car, file the sides smooth then build new ribs from styrene strips.

Are there any online photos of the cars online to work from?

The CTH&SE also had some 8 panel hoppers but I have not seen photos only decals for the cars from Rails Unlimited.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/16/16 14:23
Author: grahamline

The alternative would be to put a bug in the ear of Jim Booth at P-B-L and see if he can get the UP Historical Society to back the project. SPT&HS does things like this. Or, launch a kickstarter campaign.

Date: 10/17/16 09:29

Those are good ideas but I am working from one rather distant image and only need 3-4 cars. If some SP or UP modelers want to get the ball rolling i will join in.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/17/16 10:27
Author: grahamline

I may have a dimensional diagram, but those do you little good without decent photos.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0277 seconds