Home Open Account Help 221 users online

Model Railroading > SPROG with JMRI for ESU Loksound decoders

Date: 10/18/16 13:33
SPROG with JMRI for ESU Loksound decoders
Author: dmaffei

Just getting started with programming some Athearn stuff with the latest SPROG IIv3 DCC Programmer . A few questions for those who may have done this.
1) any online tutorials that give some great tips for values and settings?
2) Can you tweak Loksound decoders that are programmed with the SPROG, or do you need the ESU programmer?

Thanks in advance for any pointers... Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/16 13:34 by dmaffei.

Date: 10/18/16 13:43
Re: SPROG with JMRI for ESU Loksound decoders
Author: dlh

Have the SPROG II v3 too and I've had some difficulty programming ESU decoders. A buddy has the ESU programmer so I'm going to take several locos to his place. No problem whatsoever with Soundtrax or Digitrax decoders.

Date: 10/18/16 14:01
Author: brfriedm

I also have the Sprog and luv it. As far as I know, u can program anything u want with the Sprog with loksound that u can with the ESU programmer.  but u can not update or change out sound files which is where the ESU programmer comes into play. Folks more knowledable can correct me. Thanks Bruce

Date: 10/18/16 17:25
Author: dlh

In theory I believe you are correct brfriedm. However, in practice I've found while using the SPROG that ESU decoders will often just ignor programming commands.

Date: 10/18/16 18:04
Author: fbe

Perhaps this is account ESU decoders sit on custom designed mother boards to meet customer requirements instead of standards. Only 8 pins follow NMRA standards but the rest of the AUX pins vary from model to model. The class lights might be Aux 3 on one model then Aux 5 on another. I am not sure how the JMRI "learns" how to read the decoder/motherboard to give you what you want for the loco on the programming track.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/16 18:09 by fbe.

Date: 10/19/16 04:36
Author: brfriedm

I have had zero issues using my Sprog to program a number of CV's with a variety of Loksound decoders and Loksound sound decoders. Not sure why u are challenged. Make sure the locomotive wheels are clean and that your programming track is also clean.   Bruce

dlh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In theory I believe you are correct brfriedm.
> However, in practice I've found while using the
> SPROG that ESU decoders will often just ignor
> programming commands.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0294 seconds