Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Model Railroading > Home made electro-magnetic uncoupler?

Date: 10/20/16 09:35
Home made electro-magnetic uncoupler?
Author: funnelfan

Thinking about making my own electro-magnetic uncoupler. I know Kadee makes one, but it's huge and requires that you rout out a large hole the deck of the layout. What I'm thinking about doing is taking two 3" bolts or nails and wrapping them with magnet wire. Place them under the track just outside of each rail. Then wire them to a toggle switch with a in-line red LED and to a two AA battery holder. The 3volts should light the LED and provide power to the magnets when the toggle is set to on. I'm going with the toggle over a push button so it allows both hands to be free to hold and work the throttle when spotting the car over the magnets. Anyone try this before?

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/16 09:35 by funnelfan.

Date: 10/20/16 11:24
Re: Home made electro-magnetic uncoupler?
Author: tomstp

You will need a 12 volt power source for the magnet.  At lease that is what I found out using Kadee's.  I tried it at 6 and even 10 volts and it would not work.

Date: 10/20/16 12:47
Author: Larry020

How much current (at 12v) did your circuit require?  I'm just wondering what rating the power supply, circuit breaker, and what gauge wire should be used.

Larry

Date: 10/20/16 14:51
Author: TCnR

Rapido had one on the market. It looks like an easier installation if they are available.

http://rapidotrains.com/on-off-remote-coupler/

Date: 10/20/16 15:52

We have some, but they won't be installed until our winter shutdown January through March.  I'll get back to you.

Larry

Date: 10/20/16 16:15
Author: wabash2800

Make sure that that the momentary contact is fail safe. Potentially, that kind of set up can overheat and cause a fire.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 10/21/16 06:19
Author: tomstp

Larry, we just used a MRC reostat transformer.  The uncoupler does not require hardly any amperage.

Date: 10/21/16 06:47

Thanks for the reply. 

Larry

Date: 10/23/16 07:53
Author: BAB

Just went on there web site, will be back in stock Nov 2016 am going to get one and try it out. I have San Juan couplers on my ON30 layout and nothing Kadee has will make them work at all. Even talked to Sam at Kadee and he said the same hope this will work as trying to do them anyother way doesnt work too well. Boyd in Chiloquin OR
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rapido had one on the market. It looks like an
> easier installation if they are available.
>
> http://rapidotrains.com/on-off-remote-coupler/

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds