Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Model Railroading > N scale loco question

Date: 11/04/00 14:02
N scale loco question
Author: davef

I have an N scale Atlas GP-40 (non-decoder)running on a MRC-command 2000. The loco runs smoothly but it seems to start out at a fairly high speed. It starts and stops at around 10-20 mph. Is there a problem with the loco or is it common with N scale locos(I'm new to N scale). I was wondering cause I have an HO scale Atlas U33C and I can make it creep very slowly. I'm thinking that the N scale loco does this because of the very light weight of the loco compared to HO scale locos. Any thoughts?

Date: 11/04/00 16:11
RE: N scale loco question
Author: Moment

MRC is not a good choice if you want to run your loco's at a very slow speed.. They pules A.C. power in to the DC side of the power supply!! You need an all DC power pack to run them realy slow and MRC just ain't going to do it!! A good way to see if the power pack is pumping AC in is take the shell off the loco so you can see the motor. Flip the power switch off, set the control to 15% snap the power shitch on, if the motor moves a little but does not start that was the AC pules..

Date: 11/04/00 23:42
Author: Captain_Bazza

I've not been active in MRR 'N' for some years, my collection of locos is over 20 (from what I can remember). Some were better starters than others. Maybe it's to do with the different resistance of the motor windings causing the sudden jump start.

My controller is an old UK made Hammet and Morgan, with full/half wave rectification, and most locos responded well, with smooth starts, but I'm sure there were a couple 'jumpers' too.

Having said that, I know some of my ho stuff was a bit fierce starting, so it's not just 'N' that has the problem.

Date: 11/05/00 13:42
Author: MOPAC-1

I too have an Atlas GP-40 (N-scale), and when it starts acting up like you describe, it has dirty wheels. may I offer a suggestion? Take a piece of paper towel, and lay it across an unscenicked piece of track. Take an eye dropper, and lightly wet the paper towel in the center of the track, with rubbing alcohol. Take the loco and place only one truck on the paper towel covered track, the other on clean rails to pick up power. Set the direction so that the loco is heading toward the towel. Apply power slowly (holding the loco stationary with your other hand)until the wheels start to spin. You'll be amazed at the twin black streaks you leave on the towel. Repeat as many times as necessary on both trucks until the towel comes out clean. See if this helps... Robert (MOPAC 1) Simmons

Date: 11/06/00 19:36
Author: Moment

MOPAC-1 wrote:
>
> I too have an Atlas GP-40 (N-scale), and when it starts acting
> up like you describe, it has dirty wheels. may I offer a
> suggestion? Take a piece of paper towel, and lay it across an
> unscenicked piece of track. Take an eye dropper, and lightly
> wet the paper towel in the center of the track, with rubbing
> alcohol.

Wow you realy don't want to use any rubbing alcohol at all!! I see you guys saying this all the time! Try reading the lable!! 70% alcohol whats the other 30%?? wow water!! Now do you realy want to use water in and or around your loco's?? I think not!! There are at least a 100 cleaners that do not have water in them at all, and I no of 20 wheel cleans that work just fine!! Save the rubbing alcohol for gramps spend a few bucks on some real wheel cleaner and your loco will be around to give to your kids!!!

Date: 11/06/00 19:51
Author: iocr

At least one ingredient in rubbing alcohol is lanolin. This may make your skin nice and soft but it wreaks havoc on your wheelsets.

If you must use alcohol, go to the pharmacist and get denatured
alcohol. It is pure stuff with no additives.

I would also recommend popping the trucks out and cleaning the copper strips that conduct electricity to the motor. These gunk up rather quickly and can result in erratic operation. I own three of the Atlas
GP40's and they seem to be the most prone to dirt problems.

Good luck and have fun!

Mark Bohach

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds