Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Model Railroading > Your scale and why?

Date: 12/02/00 22:49
Your scale and why?
Author: kushtaka

Reading the thread below by Iowarails, it got me wondering why everyone chose the scale they work in. I model in N scale for the ability to make long trains in less room, and HOn3 for the easier scratchbuilding, historic value, quaintness, and (again) slight space advantages. How about you?

Date: 12/02/00 22:59
RE: Your scale and why?
Author: wc_gulliver

I chose HO scale because:

-wide selection of models
-size good for detailing, N too small for me.
-resonable price; S on up is too much for my budget.
-detail is good for size; N has too big rails and flanges, G looks to toylike. some O is good but price is the problem.
-layout space is good (but not as great as N)

ever since I have been modeling, HO has been the scale. I have contemplating N but I like adding the details and have enough trouble adding decals on HO equipment. I do not foresee any change in the near future

Date: 12/03/00 05:57
Author: WrongWayMurphy

I model in HO because I like interurbans & overhead wire.
I am toying with some n scale just for the heck of it and am painting
a couple of MKT GP7's - n scale painting & lettering is a bit
of a challenge for the eyeglass wearer .....

Date: 12/03/00 06:58
Author: UPED

I model in two rail, I like it because of the versatilities of different modeling. If one project gets boring just go on to another. I can join several different clubs and keep my interests active.

Date: 12/03/00 08:09
My scale and why.
Author: trainman

Indoors I model in HO-scale because it is small enough to model a complete railroad in my basement but still big enough to handle.
For a portable show layout, I chose G-scale because the smaller scales tend to get lost in large venues.
I collect the trains of my youth - O-scale Marx tin plate.
And out in the back yard, I am dabbling in 2" scale because it is a do-or-die scale, or maybe I should say that in my case, it is a do-it-yourself-or-you-can't-afford-it scale.
But truth is, I never met a scale I didn't like.
-trainman-

Date: 12/03/00 09:08
Author: kcjonz

started in lionel when i was 5 as a christmas present. began ho when i was 8 because of more track in less space. began n when my boys were young and the same reason more track in less space. i still model ho and n.

Date: 12/03/00 10:08
Author: narrowgauge

Even though I'm a dedicated Pennsy modeler in HO, I switched to HOn3 after visiting Colorado and riding the Cumbres & Toltec and Durango & Silverton. With narrow gauge, I've been able to get a decent layout in a 4'x8' space. And even though there's not a lot of ready to run rolling stock, it's a great scale. NarrowGauge

Date: 12/03/00 22:56
Author: K.V.Div

I model in both N and HO and have spent time as a member of clubs in both scales, however, I now spend most of my effort in N Scale, as it is the scale in this area where those who model it have the most fun and enjoy the hobby to a greater degree.
As for myself, I am modeling the Carmi Sub of the Kettle Valley Division of the CPR and find that I can just squeeze in the primary features which made that area so unique into an area of 8 x 19 ft.
Even though I am 45 years old and wear glasses, I find N to be a challenging scale with lots of opportunities for scratchbuilding and kitbashing, as I am in the process of kitbashing a fleet or CPR 8 hatch, overhead bunkered Ice refrigerator cars and (40ft) 8'6" inside hight boxcars (Miniboxes), as well as scratchbuilding several CPR wood Vans (Cabooses) which are needed for my era.
Happy Modeling.
Cheers,

Terry

Date: 12/03/00 22:57

I model in both N and HO and have spent time as a member of clubs in both scales, however, I now spend most of my effort in N Scale, as it is the scale in this area where those who model it have the most fun and enjoy the hobby to a greater degree.
As for myself, I am modeling the Carmi Sub of the Kettle Valley Division of the CPR and find that I can just squeeze in the primary features which made that area so unique into an area of 8 x 19 ft.
Even though I am 45 years old and wear glasses, I find N to be a challenging scale with lots of opportunities for scratchbuilding and kitbashing, as I am in the process of kitbashing a fleet or CPR 8 hatch, overhead bunkered Ice refrigerator cars and (40ft) 8'6" inside hight boxcars (Miniboxes), as well as scratchbuilding several CPR wood Vans (Cabooses) which are needed for my era.
Happy Modeling.
Cheers,

Terrykushtaka wrote:
>
> Reading the thread below by Iowarails, it got me wondering why
> everyone chose the scale they work in. I model in N scale for
> the ability to make long trains in less room, and HOn3 for the
> easier scratchbuilding, historic value, quaintness, and (again)
> slight space advantages. How about you?

Date: 12/03/00 23:00

Happy Modeling.
Cheers,

Terry

Date: 12/03/00 23:06
Sorry for the multiple posts

Sorry for the multiple posts, as I seem to be experiancing a problem on my end.
Happy Modeling.
Cheers,

Terry

Date: 12/04/00 15:53
Horrible Optics
Author: stivmac

My eyes are not good enough for N, although the temptation of a massive double deck N layout in my 2 1/2 car garage IS inviting. Nope, when I started a dozen years ago, I looked at N and HO and saw FAR more availability and much lower prices in HO. Sn3 IS a temptation, but too much $$.

Date: 12/04/00 17:08
Emoting
Author: Annie

I'm modelling in HO and HOn30. I suppose partly because I'm in
an HO club and like it, and because I like the little trains.
But I feel like HO is also the smallest scale that is still large
enough to convey a sense of the Gestalt of a human place.
I like to evoke in my viewers the same emotions they feel from
travelling to the real life place - a sense of being hidden away or
isolation in a Virginia holler, a sense of being out of human scale from being in a downtown urban area, a sense of the ordered claustrophobia of smalltown America.
I find that easier to do in HO, where surfaces are large enough to bear texture well. The barn can have a "run down" look that I find difficult to acheive in N.
When I see N scale layouts I feel drawn to the scenery. Certainly an advantage of the smaller scales is that the trains run through the scenery, not in front of it.
One thing I like about the little bit I've worked in larger scales is the way the train moves - the slack runs in and out, the cars actually coast, it makes noises like a "real train". Oddly, this is also true of my little HOn30 decauville cars, and they're about 1cm cubes.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0578 seconds