Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Model Railroading > Bullfrog Snot

Date: 11/29/16 06:07
Bullfrog Snot
Author: BAB

Ok asked this on another thread on here got no reply so will try again. What does it do to electrical contact and does it transfer to the rail?  Also how long does it lasts? Having traction problems with several engines so also how does one apply it so there is an even coat? Thanks to anyone answering.

Date: 11/29/16 06:11
Re: Bullfrog Snot
Author: Setandcentered

Date: 11/29/16 08:29
Author: tomstp

Take you a "bright boy" and rub crossways across you rails.  Make sure you clean your track first to remove any oiles or they will get in the bright boy.  To prevent dirty track use only metal wheels in freight cars and run a train at least once a week.

Far better than snot.

Date: 11/29/16 09:06
Author: bioyans

BAB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok asked this on another thread on here got no
> reply so will try again. What does it do to
> electrical contact and does it transfer to the
> rail?  Also how long does it lasts? Having
> traction problems with several engines so also how
> does one apply it so there is an even coat? Thanks
> to anyone answering.

Bullfrog Snot is basically a liquid traction tire material. You apply it to one or two wheels while they are turning, so it applies evenly. It doesn't conduct electricity, so use restraint in how many wheels you put it on (or else you will experience power pickup issues).

Some use a toothpick to apply it, while others use a brush and thin the material slightly with plain water. There are several tutorials on YouTube, that shows how to apply it.

The one word of caution I would pass along, however, is in applying it to steam locomotives. The videos show the modeler holding the locomotive upside down, and applying power to make the wheels spin while applying the Bullfrog Snot. Be VERY careful doing this, as the valve gear on many models isn't designed to be run upside down, and the "slop" in the rods can cause them to jam and bend. Had this happen to me, on a brass 2-8-2 that I was lubing and breaking in. A better alternative, is using (or borrowing) a test stand with rollers. Put the roller assemblies under all the drive wheels except the one you are applying the Snot to (typically the geared axle). Run the drivetrain, and apply the Snot from underneath, on the wheel tread.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/29/16 12:03
Author: 28hogger

tomstp Wrote:
> Take you a "bright boy" and rub crossways across
> you rails.  Make sure you clean your track first
> to remove any oiles or they will get in the bright
> boy.  To prevent dirty track use only metal
> wheels in freight cars and run a train at least
> once a week.
>
> Far better than snot.

I agree use snot and you will have nothing but trouble. I applied it just as they suggested in the video and still had problems.

Date: 11/29/16 12:19
Author: TCnR

Not sure what you're using for track cleaner, some of the electrical 'contact cleaners' have an oil of some sort in them, that can lead to traction issues. I'm leaning towards alcohol or very specific brands of contact cleaner.

BAB, what scale are you working with? That also plays into the weight and traction games.

Date: 11/29/16 19:14
Author: g-spotter

I had the best luck applying it only to the geared drive wheel on the non-conctact side; it is not a conductive film.  (There is no slop or lash on the geared axle, so no traction induced binding or wobbling)  Depending on the locomotive, it can be applied to additional non-contact / electrical pickup wheels.  Apply, let it dry and cure for a few hours, and you're off.  I have found it very helpful to brass steam engines.  I have not applied it to diesels. 

Date: 11/29/16 22:07
Author: SD45X

Why don't you add weight? I have a 4-12-2 that will pull the world. Plus the moon. Just some weight in the boiler.

Date: 11/30/16 05:52
Author: brfriedm

Dear? or is it Mr. B? or Mr. Ab?

Anyways, I would apply the Bullsnot all over the wheels and you will be good to go. Probably pull 1000 cars then.  or just do what everyone else does and add extra engines for more pulling power......ding!

Bruce

Date: 11/30/16 08:31
Author: BAB

Well have ON30 on my home track with MMI engines but also run my HO on it for testing. I use no oils at all other than the engines I use what I happen to have on hand, Dupont wax and grease remover for painting cars seems to work well. I wet the roller car pad and follow two cars that have masonite style pads under them. The problems I have are several, light engines, not enough drive wheels, the turbimes only  have two powered trucks dont know if I can add weight to them along with my Lionel Challinger or not. The rest have plenty of tractive effort. The club layout has several grades on it dont know exactly how much they are. One is right out of the main yard and has I think two loops before reaching the straight part so that is a big problem just pulling it. Never got to the others but would expect the same.  Thanks for the input. Boyd
> Not sure what you're using for track cleaner, some
> of the electrical 'contact cleaners' have an oil
> of some sort in them, that can lead to traction
> issues. I'm leaning towards alcohol or very
> specific brands of contact cleaner.
>
> BAB, what scale are you working with? That also
> plays into the weight and traction games.

Date: 11/30/16 08:52
Author: santafedan

Brightboys abrade the track and make fine scratches in the track.  Thus, leading to dirt accumulation.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0584 seconds