Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Model Railroading > First impressions of Walthers new HO DCC 130' Turntable (Update)

Date: 12/02/16 21:06
First impressions of Walthers new HO DCC 130' Turntable (Update)
Author: jsnoy

I just installed the new version of Walthers DCC HO 130' Turntable (TT).  The controller has been totally revised.  I'm very impressed with ease of  programming and operation.  The previous DCC TT version was a nightmare to program which required separate steps to program both ends of the bridge.  The operation of the controller was not intuitive IMO.  Programming the new TT is much simpler and the controller is much more user friendly to operate:
      a.  Push the "Track" button to start
      b.  Use the "UP" or "DOWN" buttons to select the appropriate stall/track#
      c.  Push either the "HEAD" or "TAIL" button to rotate the appropriate end of the bridge to the intended stall/track
Programming the bridge is a one step process.  Selecting HEAD or TAIL automatically programs the opposite end of the bridge to TAIL or HEAD.  In other words "one step" programs both ends of the bridge. 

If my explanation is not clear, send me a PM and I will send you a pdf of the operating instructions. 

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/16 11:07 by jsnoy.

Date: 12/03/16 06:46
Re: First impressions of Walthers new HO DCC 130' Turntable
Author: WrongWayMurphy

I have the older version and yes it is terrible from a programming perspective.

i use the touch pad to manually line up the bridge track to the external trackage, which
works fine for me as the turntable is close to the edge of the layout facia.

Date: 12/03/16 07:00

If anyone wants my old turntable, send me a Private Message with a reasonable offer.  It has been hardly used. 

Date: 12/03/16 07:03
Author: Bob3985

Our model railroad club has the older version as well and it is terrible. Often loses its indexing for lineup and has to be reprogrammed often as it loses its memory.
Perhaps one day we will get enough together to pick up a new version.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 12/03/16 07:59
Author: aehouse

I had the old DC version, which I could easily align visually, using an old DC powr pack to power the motor, and a DTDT switch to change polarity.  No big deal. No big bucks. No progrmamming hassles.  Worked like a charm, and I still have it, though my current railroad does not make use of it.

Art House

Date: 12/03/16 08:03
Author: fbe

I wonder if there will be an upgrade from Walthers to replace the DCC components of the old turntable with those parts from the new model?

Date: 12/03/16 12:11

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if there will be an upgrade from Walthers
> to replace the DCC components of the old turntable
> with those parts from the new model?

I was hoping the same as you, but the cabling, connectors and wiring are totally different.
Joe 

Date: 12/03/16 15:15
Author: tiltone

Bob3985 Wrote:
> Our model railroad club has the older version as
> well and it is terrible. Often loses its indexing
> for lineup and has to be reprogrammed often as it
> loses its memory.
> Perhaps one day we will get enough together to
> pick up a new version
You can try keying  in the factory preprogramed 225 when it does not line up for approach and wait till it stops then just lift bridge up and  turn to where it should be for that appproach i have done this when it plays up and as a rule i don't have to reprogram all the indexing  Cheers Dennis

Date: 12/03/16 16:43
Author: jo-tower

Just replace all the electronics with a hand crank and universal joint
like Diamond Scale used as an option on their tuntables.  Much more
reliable and considerably less expensive.  Prototypical turntables did
not have an automatic indexing system.
CJV in Illinois

Date: 12/04/16 05:51
Author: atsf643

I have stripped two Walthers turntables off all their electronics. Added a loco decoder for the motor and a PSX-AR for the bridge tracks. Bridged the gaps on the pc board with conductive silver paint. Can now operate these like the prototype off my handheld controler, and have no interruptions killing off the sound. No need for an upgrade kit here.

Jürgen Dietrichkeit
Weilheim, BY

Date: 12/05/16 03:47
Author: hogheaded

Walthers offers the new controller separately for $90. Is it possible to retrofit the older turntable with it?

EO

Date: 12/06/16 11:05

hogheaded Wrote:
> Walthers offers the new controller separately for
> $90. Is it possible to retrofit the older
> turntable with it?
>
> EO

The short answer is NO.  I thought the same and bought the new controller only to find out I was wrong.  Here are the details:
   a. Old DCC turntable -  the controller contains all the wiring connections (3) for the; power, DCC track power, and an RJ45 socket.  A 3 foot cable with an RJ45 plug is hardwired into the bottom of the turntable.  
   b. New DCC turntable - the connections are almost the reverse of the old DCC turntable.  There are three wiring connections on the bottom of the turntable: power, DCC track power and an RJ11 socket.  A three foot telephone cable with RJ11 plugs on both ends is supplied to connect the turntable to the controller. The controller has 2 RJ11 sockets so that you can "daisy chain" up to four controllers if desired. 

I hope this helps. The new turntable is so much easier to program and operate IMO.
Joe

Date: 12/16/16 15:10
Author: steam290

MY original DCC turntable was a mess.  It quit working after less than a year. It would never land on the programed mark. I'd much rather have a DC version if I could pick one up for cheap.  No reason to have a DCC turntable IMHO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.121 seconds